Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brake Shims - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake Shims

PICT0442.jpg

These are the complete shim set for the front brakes on an 88 Stevens, standard setup.

Maybe a moderator could place somewhere for reference.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did that fix your annoying squeak ? Where did you get the new set from Roger ?

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

Roger check those large "U" shims that go between the pad and caliper. Some retract the pad far enough off the disc to reduce the immediacy of pedal feel.

DanR

Steve, haven't put them in yet, it's bit chilly, max 21 c

Dan, which 2, they're all a bit "U" shaped, maybe a number from the left.

Update

I fitted them this afternoon, all seems good. If anything the pedal has less travel and the brakes more solid.

Haven't done any "Spirited" driving yet but no notchyness so far, so better stability under "Trail Braking" I hope.

The problem was that it had 2 incorrect shims in there allowing the inner pad to move under heavy braking, which I didn't realise until I saw the complete new set.

Maybe I should let Neil (PO) know so he can sack his mechanic. :thumbdown:

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

As you've got a firmer feel that's good. Some shims that fit on the backs of the pads, like the biggest ones you've got, are slightly bent. They can knock the pistons back a little further into the caliper than if there was no shim. It's all marginal but can be enough to soften the initial pedal feel.

DanR

• 2 weeks later...

Well a little over a week of environmental conciousness, (pedal power) I finally drove it today.:animier:

I can report a firm pedal and if anything slightly less pedal travel, feels solid like it should. It wasn't bad before but this is an improvement.

It obviously helps to have a full set of the correct shims. :yes: