Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
old database from lotusexcel.co.uk - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

old database from lotusexcel.co.uk

Hi,

This is mostly aimed at the forum admin types:

I used to go on the old 'lotusexcel.co.uk' forum. Becasue my car is an Eclat, it was the forum with the most relevant material and posting community. At the point of closure it was pointed out by the admin (Dave Ryder?) that there would be a new forum on here. Although lots of people have come across it seems like lots haven't, and there is much less traffic on this forum than on the old one.

But my real point is - it was indicated that the old databes would be brought over if possible - This was really useful on the old forum as there were loads of old posts that covered all sorts of stuff, and oftern answers to questions could be found just by searching old topics. Does anyone know if this is going to happen? (or has happened and I just don't know where to look). The nature of these cars is such that there are several major issues that affect almost every car at some point (UJs etc) so there was a very high likelihood that on the old forum there would be an answer to most questions.

On the plus side, this forum seems to atract posters on the Elite/Eclat/Excel bit from other Lotus owners which didn't happen on the old forum, which brings a bit of a different perspective - so that is good.

Cheers, Mat.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the old software was unique insomuch that it stored posts in very peculiar ways and working with cgi-scripts rather than databases so despite months of trying the data can't be brought across. We did try contacting the software vendor but it looks like they went bust years ago and had our software vendor look at it but it's too strange to be compatible with anything else.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I had exactly the same thoughts Matt. I contacted Dave Ryder a couple of weeks ago and he sent me the old database on a CD Rom (many many thanks Dave if you are reading this)! It has thousands of post and pictures on it but you cant search so finding info is difficult.

Bibs - could the old database be set up on another site but read only?

Jase.

Guest saraphee

This is a great idea developing!

Thanks Mat for the thought, Jas for the suggestion and Bibs for the positive response.

I got a lot of useful information and learned from other's experiences in the archives and would be pleased to see them back again.

Likewise I'd be delighted to see more of our old contributors back - I know I haven't had much to say over the last couple of months but I am a daily visitor and miss some of the exchanges from the old site.

Some witty, some quite pointed, but all seemed to resolve in camaraderie - where are those posters now?