Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mathieson/ Bell & Colvill conversion? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mathieson/ Bell & Colvill conversion?

Turbo removed by Bell&Colvill same year,the number plate was removed and put on another Esprit.I have tried for over 20years to locate the number plate but I have had no luck to date.

The engine that is fitted now is an uprated 2.2 hc big valve (approx 200bhp)

• Gold FFM

600LOT was featured quite heavily on "Lotus Esprit - Addiction for life".

I love Bobby Bell's comment, "a Maser would give 140, and a Ferrari would give perhaps 150 - we felt we needed to give the Esprit an edge" - B&C still have every press cutting and road test for 600LOT, getting great publicity at the time.

Forgotten the SU carb size, but there's an engine bay image in the Robson book .

One came up for sale on Ebay a while back, an S2 in solid Green with Yellow wheels, but I've never seen another - in the flesh or advertised.

Internally they were known as incinerators!

ATB

Scott

• 1 year later...

Hi there I'm the owner of the s2 turbo sold on eBay back in 2006, I've managed to get the original reg back on the car as it was used as a press car, it's cost a fortune to keep going but it's still in its original state with turbo all there! I know it's very rare and am looking for any of the other owners out there still running the turbos if there's any left on the road

I've managed to get the original reg back on the car as it was used as a press car,

Great stuff, I recall it was a striking car in green & yellow - were those the original colours? Do you have a copy of the period road tests?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The original factory colour was black, I think it was changed in the early ninetys to the lotus racing green, ive changed the wheels to silver, the original press artical was in car and car conversions August 1978 under the title 'love in the fast lane'

I've had the engine totally rebuilt so it's mechanically sorted, interior is still original and only 55,000 miles with all old m.o.t's and history. As I've said before would love to fined any other existing ones if there's any left.

My car also featured the reg 600 lot from bell and colvill back in the seventys

I paid a visit to Stuart Mathieson when I was making 'Esprit-Addiction For Life' and he showed me his notebook that he kept of the tests while developing the early turbo on the Esprit. It was fascinating. Sadly, I'd done all the main shooting on the film and only covered Stuart's part with a few stills.

Alan

A bit more: I just remembered there's a B/W still of the Engine bay of the Esprit showing the Turbo in position - used in the film.

Edited by Alan Paterson

• 1 year later...

A bit more information regarding my Esprit. I had to contact Mathwall engineering last week as the rubber mounting for the Su carb has finally perished, I received a phone call from the main man himself today Mr Mathieson,he informed me my car was one of the first to be converted, as future turbos conversions had delorto carbs, the su is a 2 inch model used in the seventys mostly by Jaguar and he's going to look through his spares archive to see if he can help me with the rubber mount, so fingers crossed!, very interesting chatting to mr Mathison and great to find the company's still going strong

• 1 year later...

I stumbled across this ad and article today in an old copy of Autosport magazine from 1979 (while waiting to get new tyres fitted. Why the tyre fitters had 36 year old car mags lying around was odd but a nice surprise).

Hope this is of some interest.  If you want bigger images, please pm me.

1818_zpscq82l73o.jpg

1727_zpsir8d4vnc.jpg

1919_zpszxne6by0.jpg