Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car

Officially yes but I have ordered online many times without issue. Never caused me problems and nothing to stop you making your own provided the plate is to BS spec.

I just MOT'd my everyday car with plates I ordered and they were fine, if you buy on the high street you do need to present a copy of your V5 though.

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I thought they had to have the name of the supplier on them or they were an MOT failure? On my daughter's Mini I wanted to get 'You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off' along the bottom of the plate but was told that without the suppliers details it would fail the MOT?

I'm going to get a set of plates made for mine with the correct raised letters - I think a set of 2 is only about £40?

Useless fact of the day... the e-type is the only car which is allowed to have a stick on plate for the front. It is strictly an MOT failure but because a solid numberplate on the front of an e-type ruins the appearance it is allowed to have a stick on one!

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Guest surferphil

You can get slogans on the bottom, the supplier only has a small code but by default they put their business name on as a way of self promotion.

e.g. If you go Here to Demon Plates you can see their name at the bottom by default; if you select the Slogan tab you can put

'Self Preservation Society' or 'International Exports' 'Q-Branch' '007' etc... The plates will arrive with a code in small print off to one side indicating the manufacturer which is less visible than your slogan.

I doubt they can fail an MOT if the car is older than the legislation; they can't force you to change the plates if they were legal when they were fitted. If its a new car then it will be obvious that the plates have to follow current legislation.

In my experience official bodies don't really know what to expect or what they are looking at when it comes to Lotus cars.

Just don't point it out.

• Like 1

As above, my MOT centre would not worry, I showed Paul the plates and his only comment was 'smart stuff mate'!

Guess it really depends on your tester or as Phil says the age of the car, my centre love classics so as long as they are safe to drive they don't worry about trivia.

Mine cost me about £21 to make so a bargain I think.

Yes Paul I believe it is, he did tell me but can't remember either. I was going to change it but decided to leave it in the end as found the digits.

I think a lot of people put them on to hide the age of cars years ago where now most prefer to see its age.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

This will be my final update on the car as I have now sold it to a great guy who is going to complete the restoration, his name is Fabian who has joined the forum and is going to take this post through the rest of the build.

The car is now gone and he has already got it running, I won't steal his thunder so leaving details to him, hopefully the body will be with him soon as progressing well and looking good now.

I would like to thank everyone who supported me to this stage and feel certain Fabian will be warmly welcomed with equal support, he is experienced in classic car restoration and very clever with electronics.

This is not the end of my Lotus journey as still need to finish the S2 and sell it on to a new owner in far better shape than I took it, I have decided to sit tight and hopefully replace both cars with an Essex in the future.

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about the s1.. but I suppose you can finally get the exact esprit you are after ... 

Looking forward to the updates from the new owner and your updates on the s2 :)

Vin Taylor

Hi everyone,

A great big thanks to Dave who has done an outstanding job bringing the car to where it is now. So much so only took about an hour to get the engine running after 4 years!A slight water pump leak easily fixed and it runs perfectly! I'm totally new to Lotus but always wanted an s1, thanks Dave for making it happen. I've got millions of questions for you guys- any help much appreciated.

Already half rebuilt Veglia Guages.

Took them apart and tested with multimeter. Battery guage appears to be a bi- metallic strip heated by a coil. Slight corrosion but works with about 12v. Some bulb holders missing. They are same ones as used on Talbot Simca. Some members of the Talbot club provided me with some replacements. Managed to purchase Talbot Simca Dash off ebay. Will find out if the other instruments are the same and use for spares.

Cleaned instruments using IPA fluid. Plastic parts soaked in vinegar to clean, together with small metal parts. Seems to work quite well!

• Like 1

Hi Fabian,

Wow that was a quick update ! haha

Would love to learn more about refurbishing the gauges as this is something I am looking at doing on my s2.  I am sure Dave was very helpful with the handover as he has given me buckets loads of help and advice on my rebuild.

You will find loads of help and advice on here :)  Let me know if I can help with anything 

Vin Taylor

Welcome aboard Fabian and best of luck with the ongoing resto. Look forward to updates and photos.

Dave, I"ll be watching for the S2 posts. Always enjoy seeing other people endeavours.

• Like 1

Hi chaps,

Will soon be painting underside using black stone chip paint and sound deadening material. Does anyone have any pictures of there own underside?Thanks.

post-10978-0-99008600-1401037787.jpg

The body is nearly done now, 2 pack primer on after weeks of block sanding and gel coat sealing. Hopefully it will be in Monaco White over the coming week, then on to the panels. :)

post-17315-0-63280700-1401121151.jpg

These Veglia display bulb holders are used on Talbot Simca, available from there owners club.post-17315-0-52102300-1401121255.jpg

This was display before restoration.

The alcohol based cleaner was used to clean guages.

Still working on them. Will post as I complete.post-17315-0-69747200-1401121463.jpg

• Like 1