Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
88 X180, Could 92/93 outside door handle be installed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

88 X180, Could 92/93 outside door handle be installed

I am wandering if anyone knows the source of 92/93 Esprit outside "pull up" door handle? I'd like to replace "pull forward" handle on my 88. Can it be done? Is linkage compatible?

MrDangerUS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John

They are off a vauxhall, I used the cavalier ones in the uk, the apperture hole in the door is no problem and only needs reshaping to fit perfect. With regards to the attaching to existing latch mechanism i'm not to sure how you would do that , a bit of creative engineering i expect, No problem for a man like you. I took the other root and fitted the vauxhall latch mechainism aswell. that did however require major changes to the door shut.area. I did that because the system was so much better in every point and much more up to date, I am very pleased with the outcome.

All the best

Dave

Dave,

I found this handle from 97 Grand Prix. Since it looks flush and can be painted body colur, I think it would "disappear" in the side view. Unfortunately it requires oval opening and door re-spray.

It is a cool design, though.

HU-GM3393S-FR.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Nice looking handle even more retro than the 94 model has. the actuating mechanism on the back looks the same sort of design as the cavalier ones, The down side is what ever you use a door paint will be required if making a change.!!

I found more elegant one. Smaller heightwise. 2003 Subaru Baja

Has a potential, definitely. Well, this project has to wait a while. I'm working on too many projects at the same time.

a012_12.JPG

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...

Hers is a 90-97 Mazda Miata MX 5 EUNOS handle, much smaller, less distracting, too bad it is chrome. It has a horizontal pull, same as <90' Esprit.

Handle has a lever mechanism translating horizontal handle pull into upward pull on the actuator rod.

Check:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-Miata-exterior-door-handles-90-97-/370444614069?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56403839b5

If you scroll down, you'll be able to see the backside and the mechanism.

Could this type of handle mechanism be easier adapted to Esprit linkage? I never went inside the Esprit doors, so it is difficult for me to evaluate the feasibility.

414554788_o.jpg

MrDangerUS

I found this very nice report at http://www.lotusespr...oorhandles.html

Mechanism looks very similar to that of MX5.

Have anyone did it, yet?

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have sprayed original (ugly black) handles in body colour (Dupont Choma Base Coat+Clearcoat). I am very pleased with the results. See my pic in the Gallery.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...

John,

I believe there have been a few people that have retrofitted the newer GM handles to the earlier esprits like ours, however, I found it easier to just have the body shop paint the handles body colour which you have done! I did the same when I had my car resprayed a few years back and love the body color look! Much more modern while eliminating a nightmare project trying to translate the pull forward mechanism to an up and down action.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hey, I'm with you. I was quite optimistic untill I took the inner panels off and saw the handle mechanism.

Paint does the job!

Currently I'm working on updating the tail lights.

Project was going quite well untill I came to new plinth fabrication.

I can't believe those #!%&!-ers put a 5 degree forward draft on the surface between the headlights (probably for de-molding purpose),

resulting in 3 "twisted" planes across the rear of the car.

Well, I'm sure I'll find the way around it.

MrDangerUS