Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Source for Rear View Mirror - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Source for Rear View Mirror

Guest saraphee

Guest saraphee

The Interior Rear View Mirror of my Elite is in poor condition, with the silvering flaking off and I'd like to get a replacement. Lotusbits has mirrors in the same condition as mine, SJSportscars has an alternative but bitter experience suggests it's not fit for purpose so, over than fitting one to the windscreen I've no idea where to look.

UNLESS someone on this forum knows of the whereabouts of a mirror in good condition - or- knows the original source of the mirror, did it come from another manufacturer's stock bin and if so what model was it please?

Edited by saraphee

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat. I tried them a couple of years ago for an interior mirror without luck, but maybe they have some now. I ordered one from Dave Bean Eng., but they ended up sending me a roof mounted one! I've since redone my dash, so I ended up covering over the mounting pad and installing the mirror above the windshield. Not original, but it does work pretty well... maybe better than the lower position, but it lacks the "character" of the upside down dash mirror.

Happy hunting!

Cliff

Guest saraphee

I'd like to try the re-silvering, but the service is not available here. I've taken the prismatic glass out of the mirror and have been looking on the web, however most of them seem quite expensive, anyone know of a reasonably priced reliable supplier please?

Cliff, that's my fall back position, getting a screen mounted mirror here is quite easy, but you do lose some of that quirkiness which attracted me to the wreck I bought in the first place.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Rex,

Try a local astronomical telescope group in your area (if there is one). Sometimes these guys make their own telescopes and mirrors and do their own silvering. Someone in one of these groups may be able to assist with a 'how to'.

If you have the mirror out so that you can resilver it, can't you just go into a glass cutting shop and get a new one cut from a mirror?

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Guest saraphee

Thanks to GavinS1, Petrol feet driven, frommerstop, mikemellymel, Steve Cook & ramjet -

Your suggestions were all very positive, however, let me report that unfortunately none of the websites mentioned, or others I tried have the right mirror with good condition glass: the Fiat Panda was never imported into Thailand and the last few days googling hasn't shown me a mirror on the net; prismatic glass has never been imported or manufactured here so I can't get another cut locally; I have sent a poor quality glass away for silvering and now await it's return - snag here is that to get the glass out you have to split open the mirror case so it won't look pristine when it's glued back in; and even the local university does not have an astronomical group producing their own mirrors!

Still, I choose to live here and I'll just keep plodding away. Meanwhile I've received an offer of a mirror (not quite the right type - but a generous thought) from another forum member.

What a good bunch of blokes you all are................

Rex