Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Low running temperature - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Low running temperature

BenL

Has anyone got any suggestions?

My car (S3 normally aspirated) is running at around 60 degree's celcius when the car is moving only warming up (eventually) to 90 degree's when the car is stationary in traffic. Despite this the car seems to be running fine, is this low and can the low temperature be doing damage to the engine?

I have chenged the thermostat and gaskit yet the problem remains.

any help greatly appreciated.

Ben.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

90 degree's sounds normal to me :D

I also had low temperature problems earlier, ex owner had removed for some reason the thermostat. We put new one and then temperatures were normal.

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Hi Jussi,

The temp only gets up to 90 when the car is running stationary for a while. As soon as the car starts moving the temp (due to air cooling the engine I guess??) drops to 60 and stays there, does that seem normal?

Ben

I'd guess your thermostat is stuck open, and there's only one way to find out.

Luckily they're not expensive :D

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

What temperature thermostat did you use?

There are 2 available, 82 degrees (temperate climate)and 74 degrees (warm climate)

How warm does the heater get?

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Is the fuel gauge acting as it should? If the heater is warm it may be the gauge is being fed the wrong voltage from the regulator which also looks after the fuel gauge.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks guys,

I've bgought a new thermostat (again) but i'll check it in boling water first this time and see if it works. The heater doesn't actually get that warm so I guess that the temp is low and it's not the gauge.

Thanks for all your help.

Temperature (or lack thereof) of the heater could also be a zillion things!

My temp guage etc is fine but the heater never gets more than breath warm! It doesn't necessarily mean anything (but then it may!) LOL

Would anyone like ot push me off this fence I'm stuck on?! :)

Lewisham eh?

I live in Blackheath! :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Fish old chap, usually heater temp can be a fair indication of weather you car is really running to hot or cold (useful with 1960 gauge technology).

It can be pretty difficult suggesting solutions to car problems from 3000 miles away when you cant see the car. :)

As for your 'eater consult one of the god knows how many threads I have already answered on that subject chief. :)

As for your buggered up heater it could be one of a Zillion things :P

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Yes I agree!

Hence why I have never asked :)

I was always going to wait until I had the hour or so spare to do a search and sift through what I knew would be a squintillion posts on said topic! :)

(thanks for the shortcut tho! :P )

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif