Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 engine temp and fan question - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 engine temp and fan question

fmxa

Can any V8 owners share with me what typical engine temp is while in traffic and freeway/motorway speeds? Also, what temp should the cooling fans come on and go off at?

Thanks!

Paul

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chelsea Martyn
Can any V8 owners share with me what typical engine temp is while in traffic and freeway/motorway speeds?  Also, what temp should the cooling fans come on and go off at?

Thanks!

Paul

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine reads as the following:

80 degrees fast road/ motorways

90 degrees around town/ slow traffic

100 degrees stuck in traffic/ hot weather

Fans come in at 100 degrees so temp has never gone above 100 degrees.

The handbook suggests running on idle for 2 minutes to let temps come down properly before switching off after a run. Mainly I guess to cool turbo bearings what I find is that the heat soak from standing still often has the cooling fans switching on at about the time I want to switch the engine off.

My question is has anyone considered an auxilliary on/off fan switch to give some manual contol to the fans? You can then use the switch to get the fans on as soon as your looking to get things cooled down to switch off?

Slightly off subject but dealing with temps/cooling;

I am just fitting an Oil Temp gauge (as fitted to S4's) in the centre of the dash as a direct replacement for the clock (I might put the clock in the centre consol under the air con controls). My early V8 already has the oil temp sensor in the sump drain plug which makes it an easy fit - or that's the plan.

I like oil temp its surprising how long it takes to warm the oil up properly often several miles after the water temp has arrived in the normal zone and it helps stop my foot from getting too heavy on the loud pedal too early. Has the same effect when you have been parked for a while and you think things are still nice and warm because the water temp tells you it is. The oil temp will tell you different...

I'm not an engineer and really don't know how much difference it might make to an engine's well being over time but it seems to make sense.. I read car magazines for years when they talked of taking 20 miles to 'warm things up properly' but never had an imperical evidence to back that up.. cos my water temp always told me things were warm after 5 miles or so. Without the evidence in your face that things aren't properly warm you assume this 20 mile thing is probably bollocks and stick your foot down as soon as the Water is warmed into normal range.

Jeff

The V8's have an auxillary pump to circulate water around the engine if things are too hot when the engine is turned off.

I can't remember the cut in temp and preceise circumstances (115 deg springs to mind), but the car will run this electric pump and the fans when shut off under certain circumstances ...

Yep

Happened to my Sport350 last year after returning from Supercar Sunday. It was a VERY hot day and when I put it in the garage the fans came on after a few minutes even though it was all locked up.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Many thanks - thats about what I'm seeing

Mine reads as the following:

80 degrees fast road/ motorways

90 degrees around town/ slow traffic

100 degrees stuck in traffic/ hot weather

Fans come in at 100 degrees so temp has never gone above 100 degrees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

The V8's have an auxillary pump to circulate water around the engine if things are too hot when the engine is turned off.

I can't remember the cut in temp and preceise circumstances (115 deg springs to mind), but the car will run this electric pump and the fans when shut off under certain circumstances ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, that's also in the manual.

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

The fans come on at about 100 and off at 90. But if you have the AC on the fans run continuously.

Next is the recirculation pump. With the igntion off, the fans will come on at about 105 and off at 95 and an electric pump cycles the coolant. This prevent heat soak in the engine when it's not running.

The bit about backing off the loud pedal for a couple of minutes before turning off the ignition is for the turbos. Otherwise if the turbos are cooking and you turn off the water cooling to them, it can coke up the oil in the bearings.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.