Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Would this brake upgrade work on early cars? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Would this brake upgrade work on early cars?

http://www.tscperformance.com/supra/cressi...s/bigbrakes.htm

Not sure if this has been looked at before for the Esprit with TMC front brakes.....Cressidas are very abundant here in the U.S. at local self service parts yards....and I bet these calipers could be had completely rebuilt at the local auto parts store for cheap.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at all Cressidas that year and they all were 4 lug...arrgh. Though maybe the calipers would still fit on our hardware? It said the piston size is the same, so no advantage there...but if the pad is bigger, there would be a greater friction area...which might mean better braking? If the larger disk could be made to fit that would be the key... larger brake surface area from which to disipate heat.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

I looked at all Cressidas that year and they all were 4 lug...arrgh. Though maybe the calipers would still fit on our hardware? It said the piston size is the same, so no advantage there...but if the pad is bigger, there would be a greater friction area...which might mean better braking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if the cressida calipers mount good on the esprit

maybe the rotors can be machined for the esprit

hubs inexpensive and I know the calipers are toyota

but are the mounts to or are they lotus can anyone

confirm that?

looks to me like the bigger discs are 4 x 100 pcd just like the std ones. so they would fit the hub of a late G turbo or TMC equipped x 180.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts exactly, I would be more interested in the caliper and rotor, larger contact surface and larger disc = greater braking torque! Were the hubs and rotors 2 piece like ours.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

The factory system per the JF manual shows the front rotors as 258 x 20 for the fronts...275 x 12 for the rears

Well, the calipers would be $60 a piece remaufactured and that's including a core charge. So if it could be done, this would be a reasonably priced upgrade. The next time I'm at the wrecker I will try to pick up a caliper and rotor to see if it will mount up.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

My thoughts exactly, I would be more interested in the caliper and rotor, larger contact surface and larger disc = greater braking torque!  Were the hubs and rotors 2 piece like ours.

Art

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

major advantage is that the effective piston radius is larger, and the disc has more mass so more effective heat dissipation.

when i am more sober, i shall enter the sizes ito my calcs and work out the torque advantage and front rear ratio. then we may know what needs doing to the rear to balance it up.

if someone does that conv. and doesnt touch the rears, it will end up with an underbraked rear axle. + a bit more front dive etc.

Would this potential upgrade allow me to keep my 91SE OZ Route Rims (the standard 15 inch ones supplied with the car)?

What are the drawbacks to having too much front dive? (esp. for street driving)

Any ABS Issues?

-Chandra

91SE

Would this potential upgrade allow me to keep my 91SE OZ Route Rims (the standard 15 inch ones supplied with the car)?

What are the drawbacks to having too much front dive? (esp. for street driving)

Any ABS Issues?

-Chandra

91SE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should work with the 15" front wheels....as the Cressidas didn't have 16" wheels.

As far as the ABS, as long as the sensor, and the sensor ring plate that mounts to the back of the /hub/disk the sensor reads from, the abs should be unaffected. If the brake bias is noticeably affected, a different proportioning valve could be plumbed into the system relatively easily.