Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eclat S2.2 engine - Cars/Parts For Sale - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Eclat S2.2 engine

Steve Cook

Hi all,

I have an Eclat 2.2 engine (in peices) going free. It was removed from my 1980 S2 Eclat as 2 of the valves had seized open (this is how I bought the car). The bottom end was apparently sound - though not tested! but the liners will need rehoning to remove some surface rust. Head will need roconditioning to free the stuck valves and de-coke etc. Cam carriers apear good as do the cam covers.

If anyone wants anything drop me a line, its taking up room in the garage and will scrap if no one wants anything

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike, no its not running as yet - partly my fault as I'm not changing the injection system from the standard Rover hotwire to a megasquirt, so wiring is a little more involved! I'm also replacing the rear diff with an Atlas so that has also slowed proceedings a tad. Not much to do mechanically now though, I think th e biggest problem to overcome will be fitting a clutch master cylinder - no room under the bonnet so will have to go under the dash, but I haven't really got round to looking at that yet. In a nutshell exhausts to finish (downpipes are made), wiring to adapt, rear diff to finish (the Atlas and Lotus axles are in parts, just need a nice day to set it all up and weld - the same as Racing Eclat 22 did - and then attack the interior - oh and exterior!

Regards

Steve

I'm sure it's pricy, but if you can check into it, I'd really appreciate it. Don't go too far out of your way, I don't desperately need them, but I'd like to "upgrade" the cam boxes to eliminate the cover's leaks I have with my 2.0l.

I'm in Detroit Michigan, USA, Zip code 48239

Cliff

Edited by frommerstop

Don't want to step on any toes, but just seen this and I'd really like to get my hands on the whole engine as a spare for mine.

I am however in France, so I'd either have to get you to courier over here (I'd obviously pay you ), or alternatively have to arrange for someone to pick up and store, till I can drive over for it.

Would that be possible?

Appreciate if it's too much hassle for you, then no probs.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hmmm..

Are the cam covers from the early 912 any different to the ones on the 907?

I thought they only changed shape in later excel 912's?

I believed the early 912 & 911 cam tower covers were identical to the 907 and all of them drip profusely from the lower cover where oil pools above the gasket?

Cliff, might you be cheaper getting the re-usable rubber seal kit from the Jensen Healey preservation Society in the US if it's leaks that are the issue? What is it you are looking to upgrade from your 907 cam covers?

D

• 2 weeks later...

Tony

Sorry your reply slipped past me, so just seen it now. I understand it may be more trouble than it's worth to you, but I reckon I'm bang on his route, near to Limoges. I could meet him on the A20 autoroute?

As I said if its easier for you to take up someone elses request no probs, but I would really like the engine, as the current one in mine needs rebuilding, so it would be good as a spare.

Let me know?

Regards

Mat

Cliff,

Finally got round to sorting out a courier cost to you for the cam carriers and covers - best part of $100 (£56) is the best I can find as they weigh 20KG together, let me know if your stil interested, if not I believe Matt wants the complete lump.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve

Just to confirm, yes I'd like the complete engine. Obviously Cliff expressed a first interest and I don't want to step on any toes, but if he doesn't want to proceed then I'm def interested. I might even drive over to pick it up. My internet access is currently very limited and I only get to check back here every 2-3 days. If you need to talk quicker than that then please feel free to call on 0033 6472 64351, or alternatively text me a no I can call you on?

Edited by matk

Regards

Mat

Sorry, I slipped a bit on this thread.

While I'm still interested in the cam covers, if they are the "later style" 2.2l design that have less leaking issues, I'm also OK with Mat claiming the whole engine. I guess what I'm saying is, I'll leave the ball in Mat's court... just let me know, after the dust settles, if the cam boxes are available. I don't have any problem with $100... that seems fair to me.

Thanks Steve, for going though all the trouble, and offering me "first right of refusal".

Cliff

Thanks Dunc, for the tip about gaskets, but I'm currently using rubber ones. The real problem is that on LHD models (especially with PS) there is so little room that it's very nearly impossible to remove & refit the exhaust cam cover and get it to reseal. I've had less trouble by pulling the engine than trying to do it in place! The later design would be a HUGE improvement... remember with LHD the brake and steering are also right there.

Cliff

Over to you Matt.

Cliff - I'm not sure this would be a later style 2.2 (or what the difference is to confirm?) as the engine is from a 1980 S2 eclat, so would be one of the first 2.2's to be produced. Just thought I should let you know.

Regards Steve

The two types of cam boxes (as I know them), are like these. The Turbo engine has the latter cover that I'm looking for, the other one is on a 2.0 normally aspirated engine... that is the type I'm looking to replace.post-10145-0-54231200-1304631071_thumb.j

post-10145-0-34161300-1304630908_thumb.j

the second type wasn't introduced until well into excel production 1985-86....? I think at the introduction to the HC engine, (but later non HC cars also recieved them).

Thats why I was surprised that you wanted the ones from a 1980 912, as they are the same as the 907, and 911 engines. If yours are damaged, could you get them skimmed to make them absolutely flat? I'd also try some gasket sealant like hylomar on the surfaces if it still leaks with just the rubber gasket just to try and get it to seal if there are high bits?

OK, then, I'll have it if that's still OK. Steve, whereabouts are you so I can try to sort pick up? PM me if you would rather stay private?

Regards

Mat

Cliff,

I can confirm that mine are the same as the 2.0L ones pictured, and not the turbo ones, so probably no good to you - sorry for getting your hopes up!

Matt - I'm in Ashford, Kent. I'll PM you my full address.

Regards Steve

Thanks Steve, no problem "getting my hopes up", I figured it was a long shot.

FWIW, the new cam covers seem to have made it to both turbo & non-turbo Esprits here in the states as early as 1982 (2.2l corresponding with the introduction of the Turbo), but by then there were no longer Eclats or Elites available here. So, as far as I can tell, we never saw any 2.2l Lotus here without the "new" cam box/cover assemblies. This was good for me to learn, now I'll know to check on any 2.2 cam boxes I may find on the net. Good information, and parts for these older models, can be a little harder to come by on this side of the pond.

Cliff