Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elite / Eclat / Excel for sale - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite / Eclat / Excel for sale

Apologies if this info is already on here somewhere, I couldn't find it, at least not all in one place. Wasn't sure where best to post this either (wouldn't let me start a new thread in Projects & Restorations :unsure: ).

As a wannabe Elite owner, I was just wondering what I should be checking for if I went to see one. The most common problems, top 5 reasons to run away etc. Not just mechanical - electrics and bodywork too. Maybe any particular parts that are impossible to find if they're missing.

I went to see a S1 last year but had no idea what to check for. I'm not naive enought to expect to find a 100% car (and where would the fun be in that anyway ? :innocent: ) but it'd be nice if I could rule out a few major things quickly myself.

I guess the list will differ from S1 to S2, and maybe even between Elite/Eclat too. Not personally interested in an Excel, but the info might be useful all in one place for other potential buyers maybe ? Just a thought.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

The number one place to start is the chassis. On Series 1 cars, they were not galvanised from the factory and can rot badly if exposed to mositure, to the extent that it might be easier making a galv chassis a pre-requisite for any prospective purchase. There are some garage queens out there that have never seen rain and are still on their original and perfectly sound chassis's, but there are an awful lot that have issues, particularly on the load bearing rear crossmember area between the rear suspension uprights. Issues have also been found on the front turret areas.

Gearboxes on Series one cars can give trouble and parts availability isn't what it used to be, but on the plus side, there are lots of second hand boxes available. Series 2 cars had a getrag 265 which is very strong, but very expensive to replace if its been abused. The automatic cars used the Borg warner type 65 which is as tough as old boots.

Diffs can whine and almost all of them leak. The rear UJ's act as the upper link of the rear suspension, and can clunk badly when worn. UJ's are easily available.

Rear drum brakes can be a mare to work on, particularly disconnecting the handbrake cable if you want to drop the diff.

Rear trailing arms are box section mild steel, they often corrode and have also been known to snap when the pivot bolt seizes up. Replacements are readily available.

Door beams rot badly, but are readily available. Additionally, the upper door glass frames can rot and are difficult/expensive to replace. Front seat belt mounts rot to the point that the front seat belt mount on the sill can often come away with a sharp tug.

Front anti roll bar to lower link bushes frequently go (they are subjected to braking stress) which manifests itself in pulling to the right or left under braking. Front calipers are 3 pot and shared with the Jag on all elites (520 eclat differs) consequently most parts are readily available for rebuilding calipers. Same goes for the back which uses mostly ford items. Handrake cables are not available, but companies like speedy cables can sort you out with a custom one at reasonable cost.

Windscreens can be expensive to replace, also the shiny trim around the windscreens can be difficult to replace and often falls off, although parts are usually available second hand from Lotus bits.

Vacuum items for the pop up lights on series 1 cars can be difficult. The bellows casing often rots at the bottom - sometimes you can glassfibre them up and the non-return valves often decide they quite like returning after all.... Also pod motors for Series 2 cars are tricky to replace as good ones aren't in great supply (TR7).

Headlinings almost always drop at some point.

The engine has all the usual issues associated with old cars, and some more added in. If your an mini man, you'll know how to do the usual cursory checks. Most parts are available, but rebuilding costs a good deal more than doing an A series...

As with all glassfibre cars, electrics can be a hassle from earthing problems and all the usual Lucas maladies.

good luck.

Just a reminder to any Elite/Eclat/Excel owners who are reading this thread to check out the Events section for details of the Elite/Eclat/Excel get-together in Holland on May 1st. There is a small band of intrepid Brits taking their cars to join the others from all over Europe, but more would be welcome to join us for the long Bank Holiday weekend. The special guest is Oliver Winterbottom, who will give an illustrated talk of why he designed these cars in the way he did. We'll be boarding the ferry in our Elite just as Kate and Wills tie the knot, so we will successfully avoid the wall-to-wall media coverage of the wedding, a definite bonus!

Guest saraphee

Dunc,

Congratulations on a fine piece of writing - I wish I'd have had access to such a succinct appraisal when I was examining my project for the first time!