Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Best performance tips for Evora within warranty specs - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Best performance tips for Evora within warranty specs

Stefmaster

I have a 2010 Evora that didn't come with the 'sport package'. I'm interested in enhancing the performance yet still keeping the car under the warranty umbrella. I know that Kold fire offers a new ECU, and there are stage 1 and 2 exhausts available that make the car sound better, (both aftermarket and OEM). Also, Difflow makes a diffuser that lowers drag. I'm interested to find out what the forum 'brain trust', thinks about these products and the potential of configuring my own 'sport package'. This car goes faster than my angels can fly as is, but isn't that the point of owning a Lotus? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

hey,

by chance this is my first post in both this forum and lotus talk one..

i drive the only evora in turkey, imported from greece.. i got no service in turkey but i got good connections with my dealer.

i started to make warranty-friendly upgrades on my car.. i started with supersprint complete racing exhaust - incl cat.- and monza wheels on sector111.com, produced by PB racing in italy. i believe a CAI would make the car breath better. it sounds awesome. check it on lotustalk forums.

im sure that would be enough for a time..

i got some other plans.. i will try to write soon.

• 1 year later...

A key issue is that "within warranty specs" is far from well defined!  But I support the CAI suggestion (plus the Sport exhaust), although the warranty question re that has never been put to the test, to my knowledge.

The Lotus sports exhaust would probably be your most warranty friendly performance upgrade since it's from Lotus (although I think it's made by Janspeed?). 

There's not too much that can go wrong with the Difflow diffuser as well.

The CAI could have check engine light issues but if you're able to install and uninstall it, that may not be a problem.  

Changing the headers and downpipe seem to yield some good performance increases as well.  The down side is it's a labor intensive job (with my dealer quoting me 11.5 hours to complete the job).  I don't think this would be to warranty unfriendly unless for some reason it causes a check engine light (which if you're doing headers, down pipe, and exhaust, it probably wouldn't).

I think the ECU modifications are probably the least warranty friendly.  I suppose you could go back to the stock ECU but, if you have a blown engine, then I suspect Lotus will be digging a litter deeper to find out the cause. 

Wait. If you have 2010 Evora, shouldn't your warranty be expiring soon?

It's a 3 year warranty and there are a ton of 3rd party warranties that dealers would offer once it's run out, I don't think Lotus sell extended warranties though.

Thanks Bibs that's what I was after, keep forgetting it's 2013 I'll catch up about February

• 3 weeks later...

Stefmaster

I know this is an older Thread/topic.

The change in exhaust systems in any stock emission compliant car will certainly make two obvious changes - or improvements?

Horsepower....

I have modified a number of exhaust systems for performance at the dyno. Increasing exhaust pipe length, diameter and removing restrictions are to state the obvious where improvements are noticed.

I have attached a few photos below with the engine pipes of my GT40 very visible.

Pipe length, diameter makes the bigger difference. Non restricted straight thru exhausts limit restrictions - obviously, but are noisy.

The intakes are tuned length trumpets that have a mesh top now on, that stops small kitty litter stones going in at the track days.

But you need to be aware that these HP increases are only slight when looked at alone. But when part of an overall approach such as heads, cam shaft, induction and ignition they are an easy measure and obvious on the throttle. Managed by the ECU and tune that can be changed on computer as needed.

Put simply, and back to the point of exhaust changes and CAI, I believe swapping exhaust and removing the third catalytic converter will make slight improvements to the horsepower - I have read figures of 5%. On a 275hp dyno result this would be an improvement of about 12 to 15hp. This would not be that obvious to the daily road user.

Removing the exhaust and catalytic converter is not hard. Just remove the cover panels - bolts and Allen head bolts. Take care when removing the panel as there are two small rods that the panel attaches to that need to be bent up slightly. The sway bay can be easily undone and is worth doing this, as it drops down slightly allowing the complete exhaust and catalytic converter to be removed from the central exhaust flange. All in all from floor to hoist and removed about 40 minutes. Be careful the entire exhaust and catalytic converter is very heavy and requires two people to remove.

An example of weight reduction is the Larini by pass pipe and Larini exhaust are about 25 k lighter!!

Fit the by pass pipe separately ensuring you turn the clamps around to access them to tighten. Then fit exhaust and re fit the panels in reverse. Again,take care of those two central rods that bolt just near the exhaust tips and diffuser panel - small twin panels on your model/year car.

dB - decibel levels ...... Noise!!

Ok - the big difference to me is the sound that is crisp and not to loud. Internal cabin dB level us only slightly higher at 1 to 2 dB at 2500rpm. These were my noise level test prior and after in my Evora.

Outside where it is obvious and counts the dB level went up 3 points which is not a lot, but obvious at 1 metre at 45 degrees at 3000rpm.

You end with a crisp, but far nicer sound. Suitable to the car. This level complies with noise leves ex Euro I believe, so you will get done for noise unless you drive around at 3000 rpm all the time.

Re CAI - cold air intakes.

Radium etc offer cold air intakes that obviously let a lot more air into the engine. I don't want to get into a fight with suppliers, but I will say these CAI are ideal if washed and treated correctly. Importantly, on a regular basis.

From the warranty end the ECU will show the fitting of the CAI and sensors, throughout the motor will indicate air fuel levels, richness and lean. So if you stuff the engine and take these parts off a smart technician will see the changes/ improvements.

I know Ford has challenged the fitting of an exhaust and CAI, but in reading the information out there, I think the ECU had a chip in the system - Mmmm removed.

Anyway my thoughts on CAI are simply you need to evaluate the advantage other than induction noise levels. Various induction changes do work if tied in with other modifications to the entire engine. Head work with valve, cams with new lobe durations/height etc.

I know little about the Lotus as I have not pulled one apart and changed heads and cams. But I am sure a Toyota forum will have options to upgrade.

All that aside the new level of noise with after market CAI does sound the part!!!.

Also there is an after market K and N filter that can be added to the air box that does increase the noise level intake a bit. A very cheap option. See Summit racing in the US there or K and N filters there.

As I mentioned I have run my GT40 intake with and with out filters. The filters are a K and N item available through Summit Racing. They are a foam filter. The big difference is the CAI for the Lotus uses a metal mesh and foam filter.

My point earlier is they need constant cleaning with a solvent based degreaser and spray oil to keep the fine dust out of the throttle body.

Off the cuff I would say if you added the CAI and did the cleaning regularly you would not have too many problems. If they get dirty and are not cleaned you run the risk of starving the engine of the vital ingredient and leaning.

I will buy into the discussion on the diffuser or splitter by saying I think with a day to day driver that does not see high performance track days or racing would be adding this for cosmetic reasons. Again it would look good.

Happy to supply dyno sheets or photos of cars to any one that may be interested just email me

kni-time@bigpond.net.au

post-15038-0-76046600-1359932145.jpgpost-15038-0-59578500-1359932165.jpg

Edited by Aussie kid
  • Like 1