Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Trunk area - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Trunk area

Once my car gets back from the shop i'm going to take care of a few stupid little things, like the fact that for some reason the rear trunk area of my car is full of stripped screwholes and loose panels :blink: and also missing whatever is on the trunk floor covering the battery (yeah, I as of now have to be careful of putting say metal rods in the trunk :huh:)

So what covers the battery/trunk floor? A carpetted piece of plywood or what.

Slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Sladester :P

What you (and I) require is the factory ABS battery cover that is missing off our cars :)

Then you need some of the factory dark grey ribbed carpet that goes over the battery cover and the floor. (held on with a couple of press studs).

The battery covers are like gold, and the last one I saw on ebay was damaged and still fetched $75 ! :huh:

battery.jpg

BTW If anyone has/knows where one is PM me or Slade(he will pay big $$$$$) :blink:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

that works :huh: with one of those I'll actually be able to take the esprit golfing if I cut the clubs all short :blink:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

I've almost finished tidying up the entire back end of my car.

Recarpeted the boot, boxed in the battery, fixed up the sail panels, bulkhead carpet, luggage cover, engine detailing etc.. (All Troy's fault by showing us all nice pics of his ride)

I boxed in the battery with a piece of 3mm fibre board, cut to shape, covered with carpet and pressed into place. Looks so much neater and hides / protects all the wiring. Also cut and installed a board to protect the tail-light wiring, which tended to get knocked around a bit.

I don't need regular access to the battery, as I've installed a battery cut-off switch. Useful mod if your car gathers dust during the week and only gets used on Sundays like mine.

Will post some pics so you can get an idea of what sort of shapes to cut if you want...

PS - A set of clubs does fit in the back - To keep the weight down, invest in a set of graphite and carbon fibre golf clubs :blink:

Edited by markt

then I'll have the classiest cart at the country club :blink: Less chance of a short if I used the graphite sticks too, I wouldn't even need the battery box then :huh:

thanks

Slade

Does anyone know if there is a fibreglass repro available of the battery cover? :huh:

If I could take a mould off one I could get a few done :)

Just have to find a original cover first <_<

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Wayne

Try 'f1karting' (Jan) - He's a member on here somewhere and a dab hand at making stuff out of fibreglass or carbon fibre. He's from your part of the world (BC, but at least the same country).

Maybe worth a PM? Nice enough bloke whom I've supplied some graphics and once offered to make me up an engine undertray out of carbon fibre. Shipping was a bit of a problem and pricey though, me being situated on the southern tip of Africa.

Worth a try anyway???

good idea. i have pondered starting up a fiberglass/carbon fiber repro business for these cars. not to make money but just out of my love for the cars and to increase support. any little bit helps!!!

Shah

1979 Esprit S2. Long Beach, CA

I have just repaired my battery tray with fibreglass and made a strap to hold down the battery.. I am still looking for boot carpet, This seems like rocking horse s**t. I think I will make some templates and get some carpet cut.

I suspect when any of those items is on ebay there'll be a bidding war <_<

Then whoever wins will be stuck with the obligation of making 20 more :huh:

slade

I suspect when any of those items is on ebay there'll be a bidding war <_<

Then whoever wins will be stuck with the obligation of making 20 more :huh:

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i actually need one of those battery covers for my S2...

Shah

I am lucky enough to have a battery cover for 79 S2.

If anyone goes into business making pieces for the betterment of the Lotus community I would be happy to loan it out for the process.

Regards.

John

Riverside, CA

Here's also one northern Esprit without battery cover  <_<

I may put there some fibre board like markt did...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

post-1510-1148680202.jpg

post-1510-1148680225.jpg

post-1510-1148680260.jpg

1979 Lotus Esprit S2

I am lucky enough to have a battery cover for 79 S2.

If anyone goes into business making pieces for the betterment of the Lotus community I would be happy to loan it out for the process.

Regards.

John

Riverside, CA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may take u up on that offer. especially since ur from my hometown. im only in santa monica. slade actually still lives in riverside...

Shah

Hello Sladester <_<

What you (and I) require is the factory ABS battery cover that is missing off our cars :)

Then you need some of the factory dark grey ribbed carpet that goes over the battery cover and the floor. (held on with a couple of press studs).

The battery covers are like gold, and the last one I saw on ebay was damaged and still fetched $75 ! :huh:

battery.jpg

BTW If anyone has/knows where one is PM me or Slade(he will pay big $$$$$) :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave Bean had them 'in stock' last year.. I got mine from them. J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Whoa. Another riversider :huh: With an S2 no less. stick around!!! <_<

Slade

I have an original S2 battery cover lying loose in the back of mine (non original battery and missing fixings mean I can't use it at present). More than willing to loan it to anyone in UK if anyone over here fancies trying to copy it in Carbon Fibre?

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

This item has been missing in both my esprits, TBH i was

not entirely sure what it looked like, i currently have a bit

of wood covered in heat shrink and then slid down the rods

and held tight with wingnuts.

Have in the past considered buying a family size tub of Ice cream,

eating it, then using the tub by turning it upside down and making

holes for the rods to go. Couple of washers behind the wingnuts and

job done (very Lotus, one item two jobs). This could be done with any

correct size plastic container if you are not fussed about it being Lotus

branded.

Of course, wandering the ice cream section with a tape measure

'might' make you look a bit odd, let me know how you get on...

<_<

Please tell me you didnt find that bit of wood in the shed! <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's not stuff this tech thread with talk of my shed, but for your info

i'm in the process of moving (hence i'm posting seldom at the moment).

The shed is staying, and i will not be building another as we won't need

the room. Nobody had told Clarky that he will no longer be a shed owning

feline, but he will have a few more rooms to claim and a few more doors

to wail behind.

:huh:

You moving to Mahn-Chesta? <_<

Looks like the ideal place for someone who washes his car using mother nature! :huh:

gasometer-rain.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Currently, everything i own is boxed up in the garage where my car should be.

My car is stored in the back of my folks garage behind some mowers and stuff.

My new house has a more private drive where (i think) i can stand near my car

without having to chat to some moron about their life/their Audi/bmw/the weather/

whatever, so who knows? it might just get washed more often!

(still not battery cover info, soz folks)

:)

Dave Bean had them 'in stock' last year.. I got mine from them. J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave Bean no longer has the battery cover for the carb turbo :)

They do however , have one in stock for a HCI @ $60.00 (Slade If your interested) :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

hmm, thanks for the heads up! :) Might do that, I think that wins over the ice cream container. I'm afraid of horrible mixups when I get hungry... :)

Wonder how they could possibly be different?

Slade