Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alloy pipe corrosion - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alloy pipe corrosion

Mark0573

G'day crew,

I'm restoring my cooling system and was wondering if anyone uses some sort of anti corrosion product on the alloy pipes. My old pipes have heavy corrosion where the rubber pipes connect.

Regards Mark

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

You should have seen the inside of mine - the get pin holes which develop when they corrode - mine at least half blocked with what looked like a stalectite - luckily my through chassis ones where done by the previous owner....

• 2 weeks later...

Anti Freeze!

A good quality anti freeze is not only to avoid having the engine freezing on you when the temp drops to sub zero. It's equally important to avoid corrosion - and especially important in cars using aluminium components. If this is neglected you end up with cylinder heads, blocks and tubing that corrodes on the inside, leaving you with a lump of useless metal in the engine bay.

The normal mix is 50/50 anti freeze and water. And the mix should be replaced every 2-3 years to keep it fresh.

Geir

Edited by saggitarius

Can anybody reccomend what type or grade of anti freeze?

I thought they were all the same, but when I went to buy some I was asked if I wanted Blue, Green or Red!!

Thanks

Rob