Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What size trailer - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What size trailer

Stevef1968

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a trailer for the 2 Eleven, I am looking for an open trailer to begin with due to the budget however not sure the correct size or what I need for the low clearance at the front.

Is it better to hire or buy - what are the upkeep costs of a trailer and what do I need to watch before making a second hand purchase from Piston Heads???

Many Thanks

Steve

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant answer all your Qs, but happy to share my experience of buying.

If you invest in a good make (eg Brian James) the trailers are fairly bullet proof so have a long life. They do recommend a service each year, but the main event in that is checking the brakes which you may be comfortable doing for yourself. I guess a bit depends on the milage you'll do with it. Many of the models are built for commercial use by transport or hire companies on a daily basis so my domestic use circa 1000miles a year is really nothing.

The main worry is it going walk about. They are very attractive to pikeys and other lowlifes, and fairly difficult to secure well. As a result insurance costs are high relative to their value - but mine is on a farm vehicle policy with loads of other stuff which reduces the impact - and if I've no plans to use it for a while I tend to remove the wheels which makes it less atrtractive!

Dont know what size you need if its solely for the 211 - presumably quite small. I got one of their biggest "A" trailers so that I could carry any of my cars (or other peoples!) One thing I did specify was the longer ramps which reduces the load angle and has allowed me to get on any road car so far attempted - but I cant remember if the 211 is lower than a low road car (eg Esprit, M100, Carlton, etc) - but it'll almost certainly be fine because it will have less forward overhang than that type of road car.

The only other thing to think about is the tow car. The trailer will be around 600kg. The 211 is probably not much more, but most road cars are 1500 or more. Most road cars have a towing limit of 2000 or less so its easy to bust the limit and you will notice the load on hills and more importantly braking. Of course if you have a large 4x4 its no problem at all.

Finally dont forget to get 4 good ratchet straps - dont rely on two because one will come loose on every journey you do!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Guest surferphil

Trailers like to be stolen which is the worst thing about them.

Get one with 4 wheels and a low deck (below the wheels).

A winch is handy and one with side rails is safer whilst loading a race car as its hard to see the edge if you are in the car.

211 needs shallow ramp, two ramp system has side rails for safety but they stick up and can damage the splitter so will need to be even more shallow, or reverse in.

Steve Williams had a flat trailer with a slide out ramp attached which was better than my trailer which was hassle to get the 2 ramps out and then attach them.

You can tilt most trailers with the jockey wheel to give an even shallower ramp.

I think the 211 is much lower than an M100, Esprit or Elise.

Might be worth getting a shuttle if you can afford it they are designed for race cars and keep the weather off your roofless wonder! (I guess you could use it to camp in too).