Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Blue Riband - Technology & Gaming - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Blue Riband

Loteuk

In the not-too-distant future we are challenging the record to bring the Hales Trophy back to Britain.

Here's a look at some of our technology

http://www.ecochallengers.co.uk/1-vessel-3-record-challenges/

Currently Richard Branson holds the Blue Riband (this is the pennant only) and his crossing was only West to East across the Atlantic. Our aim is to secure 3 trophies and create a new record.

The vessel has to meet certain criteria to challenge. Our design enables the ship to exceed the performance of any other vessel by a huge margin both in economy and speed. If you like tecnology then follow the site.

Tony

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fascinating stuff...but early days yet. I look forward to seeing something that works; I have great reservations about the obvious stress points in the hull/bridging structure interface when subjected to the immense forces of the North Atlantic.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Remember in 1998 the Danish ferry Cat-Link V took the Blue Riband and I guess it still have it!

Read about it here: http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/scandlines_cat_link_v.htm

cat_link5_1998_1.jpg

/Kim 

Proud member of Watford Exotic Scandinavian Team...

I was in the UK Immigration at Dover when the high speed cats started the cross Channel service. They were intended to be wave piercing, and had ballast tanks in the sharp end of the hulls to get the trim right for this. Sadly, the Board of Trade in the UK prohibited this and they had to run without the ballast...I have never seen more green people getting off a boat in my life!! Almost up to the "kneel down and kiss the ground" bit.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The technology has raised the brows of some leading authorities (to the point of them becoming part of the team). The hull design and drives systems have been in development for 5 years with a fairlly high level of secrecy as this type of system has not been considered before.

It is wave pearcing characteristics have been proved in other applications but not on seafaring vessels. This is what makes the glider unique.

The hull integrity was something I identified when was first introduced to the model - now I understand why this element is almost over-engineeered.

The 17m prototype is to be commissioned in mid January next year and trials programmed for October seas.

Contact the Atlantic Stig on the site, he's a technical genious!

• 7 months later...

Part of the National Press Release today - things moving towards our target............. :ice:

post-1431-0-14205100-1337274589.jpg

ATLANTIC GLIDER: THE NEXT PHASE OF FAST FERRY TECHNOLOGY

Ferry technology advanced dramatically in the 1990s when a series of catamaran fast ferries were developed. These big wave piercing ferries went on to take over many traditional ferry routes and even conquered the Atlantic, setting new records. “That technology has now reached a plateau,” commented Richard George “Which is why we are now developing new technology that will take fast ferries to a new level”.

George is leading an experienced team of designers, captains and businessmen in developing this new technology that is set to dramatically reduce the fuel consumption of fast ferries and at the same time offer much higher transit speeds and the ability to operate in rough seas. “We have reached the stage where we are ready to start building a prototype so that we can test the theory in real open sea conditions. We are setting out to demonstrate that we can achieve the Holy Grail of fast ship design, operating at high speed in rough seas with minimal fuel consumption.”

Heading up the design team is Captain Rob McCall who has been working on this new concept for 8 years. “We have had to solve many problems in developing this design and to develop new technology that will advance marine design for years to come. The new design combines high performance with what is probably the greenest fast ferry concept yet developed.”

Work is scheduled to start on building the 18 metre prototype in the West Country within the next two months. “This prototype has been sized to give us the information that we need to build a larger version capable of crossing the Atlantic. “We are confident that a larger version of our new ferry design is capable of crossing the Atlantic in two days and we aim to demonstrate this”, commented George. “The Atlantic has historically been the proving ground for new fast ship designs and this is where the current generation of wave piercing fast ferries demonstrated their capabilities. Our aim is to bring the Blue Riband of the Atlantic back to Britain but with our minimal fuel consumption perhaps we should call this the Green Riband.”

“I have been involved in many Atlantic record attempts and understand the challenge that the Atlantic presents, commented Dag Pike, who has more experience of fast vessels on the Atlantic than anyone. “I see many new projects like this and was cynical at first, but now I am convinced that with this concept we have a winner and the fuel consumption is quite outstanding. To run at these higher speeds has required the development of a lot of new technology and I am confident that we can make this work.”

The long term aim of this project is the develop a new range of very fast vessels that will not only be able to open up many new fast ferry routes but which will also have military and other commercial applications. Top speeds of around 70 knots are anticipated.

Richard George – Businessman, Plymouth Based

Rory Power – Challenge Director, Dubai

Capt. Robert McCall – Design Engineer, Italy

Dag Pike – Atlantic record and fast vessel expert.

Tony Crossley – Operations Director, Devon

Sue Handford – Marketing, Cornwall

Mike Parsonage – Leading Engineer, London

Further information: dag.pike@gmail.com +44 7802 709095

richard@atlanticglider.com +44 7500 977687

www.atlanticglider.com

post-1431-0-14205100-1337274589.jpg

• 2 months later...