Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
how many S1s still exist!! - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

how many S1s still exist!!

theskillsgap

Question

Question for the masses,

I have now had my yellow green dialled S1 for 6 years and have only ever seen 4 other S1s in the history of the car.

A yellow car at Donnington about 3 years ago, and Nigels car, the white one as used in Classic and Sports car to go to Monte carlo, and the yellow car sold recently by sportscars Uk for about

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Oh mate that is going to be just fantastic, I really mis mine, you just dont get that bond feeling in anything else

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You miss yours - have you sold it ?

'76 Lotus Esprit S1 - Monaco White ...

I own a 1977 Orange model Identical to the one pictured outside the Lotus building in the publicity shots.

Purchased it from Sheffield in 1990 drove it for a year and has been garaged up ever since. Plan was to return it to its former glory but kids came along and you know how it goes.

Still enthusiastic about restoring it, like you say there arn't many surviving ones around so they can only increase in value.

Anybody know the latest Esprit S1 ever build. (probably end of may 1978)

Tha last S1 is still being built. (nearly done)

Chassis number 106J (no date tag yet)

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/...c-018f1-med.jpg

Use above link as I can't get %7Boption%7D to work

(Re: Wheel link, way back on page 1 of this thread!)

LOVING those split Rim BBS / Compomotive style alloys......

I think I prefer the cast ones.....

I assume the billeted ones are dearer as they are cut from a larger piece of metal (entailing waste) and the cast ones are just that (cast) and waste-less..... What is the difference - why are there these alternatives - besides the obvious manufacturing process! Is there an advantage (weight perhaps?) of one type over the other?

Any idea of prices for an Esprit? There is a price list but I can't make head or tail of all the options, which beyond style and 16" are meaningless to me (a non-wheel afficionado)

What are all those "Width Outers" and "Inners" all about on the pricelist? Do you have to buy an outer, an inner and a hub or what?

Sorry for being really dense but I've never paid the slightest bit of attention to technical wheel info!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I own a 1977 Orange model Identical to the one pictured outside the Lotus building in the publicity shots.

Purchased it from Sheffield in 1990 drove it for a year and has been garaged up ever since. Plan was to return it to its former glory but kids came along and you know how it goes.

Still enthusiastic about restoring it, like you say there arn't many surviving ones around so they can only increase in value.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, an orange Esprit. That should restorate as Wayne suggested :D

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

I had a fuse where the solder came loose on one end. It looked fine and tested fine n a multimeter but I couldn't get 12 Volts on the end opposite the feed. When I twisted the end it came off in my hand.

Try swapping the fuses around, keeping the right ratings in the right places.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I assume the billeted ones are dearer as they are cut from a larger piece of metal (entailing waste) and the cast ones are just that (cast) and waste-less..... What is the difference - why are there these alternatives - besides the obvious manufacturing process! Is there an advantage (weight perhaps?) of one type over the other?

I think wheels cut from billet are incredibly strong and fault free, as small relatively intricate castings inevitably contain flaws. I remember getting a set of Minilite replicas blasted and couldn't believe how many big bubbles there were in the alloy under the paint, it was like an Aero bar.

I think for the same reason there are also drop-forged wheels. If I remember correctly an old engineer dude once explained to me how castings were poor in high-stress rotational applications as their molecular structure is always trying to fly apart (so to speak), which is why so much development goes into alternative materials for the likes of brake discs etc.

Of course I may also be talking out of my arse :D

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

OK so how much for the orange S1 I want it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The orange S1 is currently stripped and waiting for restoration, so I guess it wouldn't be worth a great deal at the moment.

For the record the chasis number is 7609/0170G so I guess its quite an early one. The reg no. is VEX 298S so if anyone has any knowledge of its history it would be interesting to know. I purchased the car from sheffield in 1990 and has had 7 previous owners.

I will upload some pic's of it when purchased, it was almost original except for the wing mirrors, and I think someone had changed the headlamp lifting arrangement to twin motors as I think they were single on the early ones.

• Gold FFM

New to this forum, hello to other Esprit owners, apologies for errors whilst posting. I have the yellow 35K miler original S1 that was featured in the PC magazine, mentioned earlier in this thread. Car featured on Esprit world. Paid too much for it: I am in the car trade, and understand all the rules, but hey - the rule book got thrown out of the window with this one. Can you put a price on happiness? Having looked for a few years, (and wanted one since the 13/12/77 when I saw the film!) there are not that many about. Factfile has a few listed, 713 or 744 built and apparently 50% exported. Can't be too many.

HI

I have another for you.

I own a 1976 Esprit S1 number 6.

This is a preproduction prototype, chassis 106J.

original colour red (now white)

Lives in New Zealand

Regards Robb

The S1 and S2 Esprits have the cleanest and sexiest lines. The broadside view of S1 and S2 Esprits is very nice. Conversely, the broadside view of the Turbo Esprit is awful; it looks chopped at the rear. I can't stand to look at my car broadside.

However, all the Esprits look great at an oblique angle, especially from the rear with that wide rear end. Even when I'm going somewhat slow, I've had other cars pace me in the the adjacent lane, about two car lengths back, so it must be that they are entranced by the view.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

there is a red s1 in telford which will be on the road in a few weeks , it having all new leather int to match its gleeming new paint job.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

there is a red s1 in telford which will be on the road in a few weeks , it having all new leather int to match its gleeming new paint job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If its white you just sold you car fella,

Errr.... am I the only one seeing the word RED in there?! :P

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Hooray for RED cars! How come I can't find one near me? I found quite a few BMW Z3 roadsters in my price range. One of them was candy red. If this trend keeps up, I may end up buying something other than an Esprit.

I'm afraid when it comes to buying a car as rare as an Esprit we don't have the luxury of "near!" You have to go to the car when it comes up for sale ...or be prepared to wait a very, VERY long time indeed!

Ed came down from Scotland to buy his south of London....

We often hear of people coming to Britain from around Europe to buy their cars...

:P Look: From Amshterdam

Hooray for RED cars!  How come I can't find one near me?  I found quite a few BMW Z3 roadsters in my price range.  One of them was candy red.  If this trend keeps up, I may end up buying something other than an Esprit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your not looking in winchcombe, I know of great red esprit for sale, just needs a quick tinker with the engine and shes perfect, want me to get the number for you :-) Ive even heard that the chap in question would straight swap for a white one in similar condition

Marc - do you do good shipping rates to the States?