Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
WC Engineering ceramic turbo - Page 3 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

WC Engineering ceramic turbo

Mike,

You seem a little hell-bent on big horse power, which is great and noble, but the Esprit is not a car for bench racing. If you want to make massive power with out much effort, buy an Evo, a Supra, or a Vette.

Look at all the work it took "Changes" to get to 400hp. It took what I can only imagine were 10s of thousands of dollars. Point being, any realistic measurement over 300 to the wheels is going to take a ton of money and engineering ...and planning. Ask Artie. Ask anyone.

If you're not up to the engineering and mechanical task (as Arite is) than buying one of John's turbo's is your best bet by a mile. He's done a ton of them, he only works on 4cylinder Esrpits -- how niche is that! -- and the price is great.

If you try to save a few $$ buying a turbo off eBay or from some shop, good though ii may be, it will not be what I think you're looking for.

Curiously, your 273 HP was measured at the crank or at the wheels?

330hp on a Mustang Dyno at the hub (running too much boost) and 273 at the wheels after a boost controller and a new alternator. on a Dyno Dynamics.

Let me also add...

I have a completely overhauled fuel system (pump thru injectors), a stainless steal exhaust manifold, a 3" exhaust, a high flow cat,AND an aluminum shift knob. ;)

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I have worked with another supplier to provide a suitable replacement for an upgraded turbo. We have been able to come up with a configuration that provides the desired performance. This is a genuine Garrett ball bearing turbo (dual bearings, not ceramic) and will be offered as an outright purchase, with no core required.

The unit is nearly a direct bolt in.

This unit seems to be purpose built, tested and commisioned.unworthy.gif What more do we need?

I'll put it on the X-mas list next year

karmavore,

Thanks for the reply. Hell bent, no. Just trying to put together all the information I have read so far, determine whether claims are rear wheel or crank, and if they are honest claims, before I spend what to me, would be real money for power upgrades of any kind. Have on hand and ready to install Lotus LSD and JAE S4s modded clutch kit in hope of getting the 350-375 HP some folks are claiming for their upgrades and so far, have not found evidence of those claims being met on anyone's dyno. I understand injectors, exhaust and ecu/ecm are other required upgrades that must be included to reach these claimed numbers as well, but as I have already said, no dyno results seem to bear out boost claims without scads of other mods (air, porting, charge cooler, etc.) as well. eBay turbos? Seriously?

I am not looking for 3 sec 0-60 as that would occur probably happen only once or twice then it's off to the engine rebuild shop. I see no reason why the block could not reliably suffer 1.1 - 1.2 bar occasionally (not sustained), but AEM sees at best, .55 bar and that is a turbo, waste gate, engine temp, knock issue that has yet to be cooked. Perhaps once these issues are corrected, I might be happy with what I currently have, and maybe not. I do know that even with my current boost issues repaired, .8 bar can not be sustained by the stock turbo and that is a shortcoming (newer turbo designs should cure slow spin-up and move more volume to support the 1.1 bar levels) I would very much like to remedy hence my search for something better and price vs return (value) is paramount.

My cup holder (I require a 24 ounce Coke to be at hand) seems to reduce my top end by 3 mph.

Edited by MikieP

350-375 HP some folks are claiming for their upgrades and so far, have not found evidence of those claims being met on anyone's dyno.

Who's making those claims?

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

WOW! I haven't returned to this for 2 days and all hell breaks loose! That's GREAT news to hear from John himself! I will be looking into this as soon as he offers the kit! Would love a bb turbo and I would have his old Stage 2 turbo for sale with less than 7500 miles on it!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

just to bump this topic back up to the top.

I'm going to rebuild my turbo and am going to replace the compressor wheel housing and wheeel to a slightly larger type similar to the cosworth RS500.

Somebody on here must know the dimensions of JW upgrade turbo. Why is it such a big secret? So can anyone tell me the inducer and exducer sizes on the compressor wheel.