Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Many S3 HC's around? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Many S3 HC's around?

madmezza

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

18 answers to this question

I have a 1990 NA HC, of which they only made 22 of in that year.

So quite rare.  Coming up for sale soon as I have bought a Sport 350.

Regards

Dave

lotus1a.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Show's my knowledge then - I didn't realise they made any other HC's than the '87 S3! Everyone's buying a 350 at the moment - where are they all coming from!!!!

Show's my knowledge then - I didn't realise they made any other HC's than the '87 S3!  Everyone's buying a 350 at the moment - where are they all coming from!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Secretly they all want white S1's really ;-)

Does the HC stand for HIGH COST if so, I've got one ..................... mines costing me a bloody fortune :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't say that! Over the last 7 years, this one's been pretty good. Turbo wastegate, steering rack, exhaust rear-section have all been replaced, but nothing major. Still looking properly through the history... I s'pose you can look at it in 2 ways: it's been good so it's a good car and will continue to be good... it's been good for 7 years, now it's time for some big problems!

In terms of workshop/parts manuals, is there one for the 80-87 Esprits? If so, I assume it covers the HC variant as well?

Guest Troy Halliday

Yes there is a manual I bought one from SJ Sportscars but I would also suggest buying the parts manual you will need to cross reference the two to get a better picture of what's going on. I'll tell you this though it's no Haynes manual. I think someone described the workshop manual as a reminder tool for trained Lotus mechanics. Pretty much sums it up it gives you some detail but not a step by step like Haynes.

I am restoring my S3, I stripped it down to nuts and bolts and am in the middle of putting it all back together again. If you follow my signiture below to my photo diary you can see some of my progress. I need to update it soon as it has come on a bit from there now but I will leave it untill the weeken when I can show some real progress.

I have replaced or reconditioned nearly everything on the car that is why I said mine is costing a fortune. Thank god I'm not paying labour costs :rolleyes:

I've had a look at the photo diary - very interesting and great view of what goes into the car. I shall be keeping an eye on how you progress - it's gonna look fantastic when it's done!

Thanks for your help/advice on the questions that I've posted (that's to everyone).

Can anyone post this parts manual's ISBN-code?

I have already ordered workshop manual (ISBN 0 537 610006) but now I'm also interested about that parts manual.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got my parts manual here, cant find an ISBN code, just the Lotus P.N. C082T0325Z Hope this helps WayneB :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Lots of you seem to have S3's, but there don't seem to be many HC's around.  Thought they were fairly rare, but just wondered if anyone else has one/knows of others?

Rich

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this counts:

When I had my MY85 TurboEsprit rebuild, I have switched to the HC MAHLE pistons and liners... I have to increase boost, though.

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

sorry to bump up an old post, but there's one more on the board ;) Mines an 86 HCI, the Federal version with Bosch Kjetronic. I'm pretty sure all US G turbos from 86 up are HCI spec.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

You are correct Mr.Slade, Federals were all Fuel injected from 86 (smog requirements) Euros were not fuel injected till the later stevens cars( the SE in 89 I think?)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

86 Turbo HCI too, imported from the US last year. Supposed to be the pick of the G models as the engine is more robust and the power output is up a bit. Still Turbo lag on mine is pretty bad. Last to leave the lights, then once it hits 4000, it rockets ahead.

Has been reliable *so far*, but then I haven't driven it much yet. Cambelt is do for a change, and I'm thinking about doing it myself. Hope I'm not overreaching :-O

86 Turbo HCI too, imported from the US last year.  Supposed to be the pick of the G models as the engine is more robust and the power output is up a bit.  Still Turbo lag on mine is pretty bad.  Last to leave the lights, then once it hits 4000, it rockets ahead. 

Has been reliable *so far*, but then I haven't driven it much yet.  Cambelt is do for a change, and I'm thinking about doing it myself.  Hope I'm not overreaching :-O

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's the case for me... No real reliability problems, and I drive it nearly every day.

I've heard that carbed cars do have a bit more low end torque, but when you hit 3000 in this car... ;)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Great to hear you use it as a daily driver. I intend to use mine almost daily, once I sort out all the maintenance. I'm pretty sympathetic to my cars, but once warmed up, I do like to go fast...

have you heard of switching the intake sprocket with the aux sprocket? Would this be worth the hassle, ie properly noticeable in terms of power/torque increase?

http://esprit.driestone.com/index.php/Espr...ormanceCookbook

Great to hear you use it as a daily driver.  I intend to use mine almost daily, once I sort out all the maintenance.  I'm pretty sympathetic to my cars, but once warmed up, I do like to go fast...

have you heard of switching the intake sprocket with the aux sprocket?  Would this be worth the hassle, ie properly noticeable in terms of power/torque increase?

http://esprit.driestone.com/index.php/Espr...ormanceCookbook

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I've heard of doing that before and that it can get back a little of the low end performance... but an adjustable sprocket would be the only option for me thanks to california emission testing ;) I probably should have got one back when I got the timing belt changed about a month back... Coming from a muscle car background the lack of low end power bothered me for a while, but I'm fine with it now. you just have to use a different driving style. The car more than makes up for off the line performance when you floor it at freeway speeds :(

intersting site by the way... thanks for the link :(

slade

that's the case for me... No real reliability problems, and I drive it nearly every day.

I've heard that carbed cars do have a bit more low end torque, but when you hit 3000 in this car... ;)

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here!

I'm a 'DAILY DRIVER' , too!

Since 2 months w/o any hassle :( (except one headlight)

Mine does hesitate when driving off the lights in 1st or 2nd gear @ around 2000rpm and then goes off with a jerk! Is this TADTS or not?

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de