Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Strength of Citroen verses Renault UN1 transmission - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Strength of Citroen verses Renault UN1 transmission

StevenD57

Thanks for the link John, I had not seen that excellent article and it fills in some blanks for me in my current quest to find a gearbox upgrade kit. If you can share any experience with the various upgrades it would be great; I have revived an older thread in the gearbox tech section.  I am just wading through archive posts as I am new to the car.

Gunter, the written article in the link is about six years old and authored by the chap that made up the kits in the States.  It is from the Lotus Ltd club publication, Remarque.  The video review is a different guy.  His review of both cars sounded pretty complete to me.

Stu Calgary Alberta ' 69 Plus 2 '0 0 Esprit V8

• Gold FFM

no, not the holloway-article copy, I mean the guy who does the car tess ..!  The article where John says *good article*  (smokintire.com)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to the testimonials, I'd rather listen to someone who "been there, done that", than a reporter.

In my opinion, owners of 88 cars have an attractive alternative to convert to UN1.

Rear suspension attachment points are identical to the 89+ SE

Conversion would require a SE donor parts, like links, shafts, radius arms,etc.

MrDangerUS

• 5 years later...

I realize this article is 5 years old, However I am curious if anyone with a 1988 Esprit has actually pulled a Citroen gearbox and installed the Renault UN1 gearbox?  I currently own a 1989 Esprit that has the Renault gearbox.  I am looking at possibly purchasing an additional Esprit, 1988 , has the inboard rear brakes and a Citroen gearbox that is apparently the culprit for the car being non operable. Not sure if trying to fix the Citroen gearbox is the best option or trying to locate a UN1 Renault and going thru whatever the conversion would entail.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pictures and tips! Very helpful. I actually have a 1989 Esprit Turbo with the Renault Gearbox. I have a friend who is looking to buy a 1988 with a Citeron Gearbox, It was the Gearbox that made the Car inoperable.. So doing some research on Citeron Gearboxes.. again that you for the pictures and information.