Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dim Suspension Question - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dim Suspension Question

Hi guys,

I have a 1986 car, which as far as I'm aware is the same as early S-Cars in suspension & brakes terms...

Is this true or am I making it up?! :D

If it is true - at which model does it change? SE? S4?

Cheers all,

Robin

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't say about suspension although i'm awaiting the new Lotus stuff out soon so Kato tells me.

But brakes i had on my 89SE were Toyota fronts and Bendix rears NOT good enough in my humble and have now upgrade to hi-spec fronts and brembo rears with grooved discs, fast road pads ans SS hosing all round - it stops good now!!!!!

I have the original equipment if you are interested?

Hope that helps fishman.

Rog B)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

My bad I should have been more specific!!

Hubs! (carriers?) I don't know these things!!

Basically the bits you bolt wheels to!!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Hubs.

Why dont you call SJ or a parts supplier and they can tell you there and then.

Without a parts list I really can't tell - someone handling parts every day should know what the differences are...what you broked now ? :D

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hahaha!

Nothing for a change! I'm just curious about fitting later wheels to older cars.

EG Steve Wright fairly easily fitted S4 wheels to his early Stevens.

If my 'wheeley bits' are the same as his then I would just have to do the same things!

(Wheel arch issues not withstanding)

I wouldn't have thought so?

If anythign it would make it easier for things to fit on as there's less in the way! lol

I think it's probably more down to what will bolt onto what?

Surely not thinking of putting S4 wheels on a G car ?

Effectivly you want hub adapters but they will increase the space between the hub and the centre of the wheel so not only do the wheels appear further out but there is more radial force on the wheel bearing (upsets supsension etc).

Spill the beans, what are you up to ?

Novas! :D

...and the prospect thereof!

They're teh only later wheels that I think would actually look good on a G-Turbo :D

Novas! :lol:

...and the prospect thereof!

They're teh only later wheels that I think would actually look good on a G-Turbo :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sure, you photo shopped it ?

Forget spacers/adapters then - the V8 wheels are too wide (285mm) and will stick out too far (only just fit mine).

If you can bring yourself to come and visit me next time you drive past my house :P I still have my V8 wheels off my car so you could compare them to your spare or we'll jack the car and try them.

Looking on LEW the rear hub looks as close as close can be from the little pictures.

I think the major development work was done in the suspension/wishbones on the front, the back look identical, these are from my car.

You might have body issues as well with the increased width, mine rub the arches on lock (haven't looked to see what the prob is yet, havent had the chance).

Might work, might not.

It was my understanding that the first of the Stevens cars, which were US SPec like mine, still had the Citroen Transaxle like your 86 would have, with the inboard brakes. They wre basically the same as the last of the Gugiaro cars with a different body and Bsch K-Jetronic Injection.

The first of the X180's in UK had the same flat wheels at the rear as the the front, and not dished like mine, meaning they had the outboard brakes and the Renault transaxle.

Hopes this helps.

Justin

88 US Spec

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

It was my understanding that the first of the Stevens cars, which were US SPec like mine, still had the Citroen Transaxle like your 86 would have, with the inboard brakes.  They wre basically the same as the last of the Gugiaro cars with a different body and Bsch K-Jetronic Injection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spot-on Justin.

Fishy - You would only be able to use the very first Stevens rims as a straight swop. Anything else and you'll be entering a minefield of suspension mods, spacers and who knows what else...

Post a pic of the rims and your ride. If I get a gap, I'll do a quick Photoshop job and see what it looks like. Not that convinced it'll look 'right' though...

Only G-Car I've seen with different rims (okay, they are aftermarket ones) and looks pretty cool, is Andy Hill's (A.K.A. Hilly) S3. Have a look see here http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/Hill.html You'll get an idea of the mods to perform to get 'em to fit.

Saying all that - Guess if there is a will, there's a way...

post-53-1150801466.jpgHere is apic of a car i nearly bought in Melbourne a couple of years ago.

It has 3 piece Simmons Wheels that were custom built.

you can buy them here for about AUD$3500 which is about GBP1400

If you want to see more, I have a few pis on file I can email you, just sing out

Justin

I believe the change happened in 89 with the introduction of the Renault tranny, Eagle Chassis and suspension revision.

The 88's were reskinned 87's.

This is for USA Fed cars. Have no idea about Europe

Yes that is right, the US Spec cars were an 88 build, 25 of which were sent to Australia and Most of the rest sent to US although I believe there are a few floating around the UK.

the main difference was the new skin as you say, they also sported fuel injection.