Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EEK, leathrique, EEAAKK ! - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

EEK, leathrique, EEAAKK !

stevem

When I purchased my 88 Esprit Turbo a couple of years ago the leather interior was looking a bit old and sad, so I purchased a Leathique cleaning kit consising of their Rejuvinator Oil and Prestine Clean products. The Initial results were good, the leather was a whole lot cleaner and more supple, and had a great leathery smell.

The cleaning process uncovered the true condition though, so I decided to have everything re-dyed at a local leather restoration workshop. I took out the seats, door cards, glove box door and center console parts which were taken into the workshop , and the dash board was done in the car. The results were very good, the interior almost looked as agood as new.

Anyway, last week I was doing some maintenance work on the car and decided the interior could do with a clean, so I got the Leathrique out again. BAD MOVE excl.png

I applied the Rejuvinator Oil and left it on for 24hrs with the car closed up in a warm garage as per the instructions. However when I came to clean the dirt off with the Presine Clean solution, some of the dye came off along with the dirt. My leather now looks pretty bad, streaks of dye with the original leather showing through underneath.

It's my own fault, I should have tested it on the back of a seat first. The Leather man only gave me a 12 month guarantee and the local suppliers of Leatherique are not interested. So be warned - if you are going to use this stuff try it in a hidden spot first. Especially if you have had the leather re-dyed at some point in the past.

The man that did the restoration job gave me 2 pots of dye for 'touch-up' which I still have so i might get the air-brush out and have a go at the worst parts myself.

Too many Toys are never enough !

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve I've used Leatherique with success. I've still got some pristine cleaner and their dye left. It's the same colour as yours. I'll be away for a couple of weeks so if you can wait until I'm back try it on an inconspicuous spot.

DanR

I've used Leatherique for years and never had a problem with it, both the cleaners and their dye. I would think whoever did your seats must have used a pretty cheap dye for the Leatherique to lift it, or they didn't prep the seats properly before applying it.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune buy maybe it will help someone else in the future. If you do dye your seats, it's a good idea to use the dye maker's recommended products for future maintenance and by all means test a spot before using something else.

1995 S4s

I completely redyed my tan leather 89 turbo interior over 5 year ago with Leatherique's system. I followed the instructions exactly to the letter, and it actually has weathered very well, in fact the original imperfections and slight streaks have faded together and given the dye a very uniform and non patterned uniformity. Aside from scratches in the leather from kids, or other sharp objects, the leather dye hasn't lifted, splotched or discolored. I use Lexxol preservative care now, since I ran out of the leatherique, but has not pulled any color up or any deviations in color. I'm afraid your local guy may have used "Automagic" dye that is very non colorfast and is designed for carpeting. Several of their products are "cover" products, designed to look good for a used car lot and then start coming off on your clothes, or shoes a few days after getting the car home.....Don't ask how I know that!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

PICT0006.jpg

Another Leatherique convert, I was impressed with the finished article. Though I might have been a tad ambitious with the color.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)