Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Early 80's Esprit Turbo Wanted - Wanted - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Early 80's Esprit Turbo Wanted

Neverweaken

Hi guys,

Still on the lookout for a Turbo Esprit to tinker with, a project car or one that can be driven and restored over time. I would not rule out a good example at a reasonable price.

It needs to be an early turbo 1980-82. This is due to Irelands prohibitive import taxes on cars less than 30 yrs old.

Based in Ireland but am willing to travel over to view any potential cars.

Paintwork - would prefer good to immaculate condition as I know resprays can be costly.

Colour - Anything considered but I do have an aversion to red.

Mechanics - would prefer it to be starting/driving, does not need to be roadworthy, MOT'd or taxed. Non runners also considered.

I have been on the lookout for the last few years.But I am building a garage at the moment and will be in a position in the next few months to step up the hunt as I will have better storage. Just wanted to get the word out as I know it could take time to find the right car.

Cheers

KW

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump,

Still looking guys and not found anything suitable yet.

I can purchase immediately in case anyone has a car available.

Would leave it covered or in storage until garage is built.

KW

Is the copper car actually a dry sump? I didn't see any reference to that.

IMHO the copper car looks good value and if your hoping to get an early Esprit turbo in the sort of condition that you describe then I suspect that you may need to pay that sort of money.

Alternatively if you can do lots of work on it then there is a fire damaged basket case ripe for restoration in the for sale section but it might end up costing more than the copper car...

Just looked at the engine bay and it does look like a dry sump.

Barrie,

I already enquired about the fire damaged car in link below but it is sold

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/esprit-turbo-1981-breaking/

I have been monitoring sales for a while and reckon cars with MOT's go for a minimum of £6K, less for projects.

Please let me know if you think Im being unrealistic.

I do 98% of the work on my cars so have no problem getting my hands dirty and enjoy it.

I am definately leaning towards a project car even though long term it would cost me the same/ more than a good car.

i saw that ad and nearly spat me tea out! great loking car and i think too cheap for what it is.... the compo's look great, a must have. having looked at the add i will defo be having mine done to the original silver and gold.

has this car sold? the adds didnt last long...

That car looked nice Hopo, but IMHO not quite as nice as yours. I think your caramel interior (which you hate!) looks better, plus the front Compos on yours are of a different and nicer style

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The fronts just need to be painted the same as the rears and bolts painted black. It's funny there seem to be more front compomotives where the centre mesh piece is mounted on the topside of the rim rather than the underside of the rim like the rears. As a result the bolts become countersunk.

cheers Mark.... im slowly loosing the will to live with this bloomin car! still waiting on Pete at PNM to pull his finger out.

the do seem to be quite an array of compomotives about... some resessed others not.. dont think ive seen 5 stud on many cars either:

IMG_3010.jpg

anyone know where i can get some centre caps from? im missing two.....

• 2 weeks later...

David Wickens?

Looks like Bonhams may have sold it in 2005....still researching.

Look a few cars down this list and there it is...with the registration number, no picture. Have tried searching for it on the Bonhams website but nothing coming up.

Sale 12170, 24th June 2005....Need to get a catalogue.

http://www.myaston.com/k/?view=item&id=120769013390&name=BONHAMS+CLASSIC+CAR+AUCTION+CATALOGUE+GOODWOOD+24+6+05

Edited by Lex Templar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have a black dry sump turbo in storage its got some lotus and non lotus mods all by previous owner,bought it as an investment, better than money in the bank, funds made were always going to daughters university fees.Might sell for the right money, car lives in carcoon in garage runs fine never failed its mot i did drive it alot when first purchased a real buzz.

Not to get hopes up! would want offers over £10000 dont have to sell for another two years, prices can only go up.

regards Peter

from memory PNM engineering front brakes and dampers,lotus sport seats sport 300 steering wheel, hand brake and pedals,17 inch exact copy of BBS wheels gold centers polished rims, expensive ICE, s4 mirrors and rear spoiler all could be reversed some origional parts i have. The car was shown Oh it also has adjustable boost .

• 3 weeks later...