Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hand Brake problem - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hand Brake problem

Hi all need a little help / advice

Went for the yearly check up today (MOT) and all was plain sailing until the hand brake efficiency test!

N/S working fine, O/S not working at all. The chap at the garage told me the mechanism was working but no braking.

So - I tried adjusting the handbrake cable, to the point that the brake was binding however when tested still no hand brake eficiency.

Does this sound like a new caliper or something else, I understand that the hand brake should be self adjusting but clearly this one isn't.

Thanks Guys

Regards

Paul

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like a pull the calliper apart job and get things moving but before you do that it's first worth trying to undo the cable adjustment to make sure it has enough free play in the cable and then apply the brakes several times (foot brakes) to try and ratchet out the handbrake element.

i would say brake piston problem, take the caliper off and see if the rubber boots are on the pistons see if they move by winding them in (take the top of the brake fluid 1st) i think you can get a 1/4 inch rachet in the piston grove.

It's Oogies turn to boogie