Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhausts, exhausts...? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhausts, exhausts...?

Hi I have just had my first weekend in my newly bought esprit GT3. The car was previoulsy David Mckennas, those who know his car will possibly know that its running a X180 replica exhaust system which, is very loud.

I also noticed after getting back home and have crawling underneath that this exhaust was infact snapped in 2 halves! it was cracked completely around where the tailpipe leaves the (tiny) silencer box and could move around (although I couldn't pull it out completely)

I have rewelded the seam, but I now know that this exhaust is not really anygood now so am on the lookout for a new one/ replacement.

I would like a more 'neighbour friendly' exhaust note too. Has any one experimented with making thier own? I'm liking the thinking of linking two straight through silencer boxes (each a similar size to the one x180 one on theire now) together and running the exit out the last box and back between the two silencers for a center exit.... I would be interested to hear peoples opinions, or if they have tried similar things?

I'm loving the fact the Esprit is so simple and am looking forward to tinkering alot!..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL not suprised it's cracked, we were out on a hoon last summer and Dave shot past me and on deceleration the pop (more like explosion) out of the back nearly blew my head off !

VERY loud, like more than TVR loud :lol:

Mines a twin exit and possibly the loudest I'd want it, still has a functional CAT as well which keeps the noise down a bit. Pete (pitstoppete) has made his own, part of the fun is as you say being able to tinker.

Made loads of adjustments/improvements to mine as well as you can see here on my webpage

As you can see the muffler isn't partucularly big but the gas is split into 2, re result is pretty deep but when it gets hot it's nice and racey and sounds superb.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hi I have just had my first weekend in my newly bought esprit GT3. The car was previoulsy David Mckennas, those who know his car will possibly know that its running a X180 replica exhaust system which, is very loud.

I also noticed after getting back home and have crawling underneath that this exhaust was infact snapped in 2 halves! it was cracked completely around where the tailpipe leaves the (tiny) silencer box and could move around (although I couldn't pull it out completely)

I have rewelded the seam, but I now know that this exhaust is not really anygood now so am on the lookout for a new one/ replacement.

I would like a more 'neighbour friendly' exhaust note too. Has any one experimented with making thier own?  I'm liking the thinking of linking two straight through silencer boxes (each a similar size to the one x180 one on theire now) together and running the exit out the last box and back between the two silencers for a center exit....  I would be interested to hear peoples opinions, or if they have tried similar things?

I'm loving the fact the Esprit is so simple and am looking forward to tinkering alot!..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Doug,

I also had that X180R replica exhaust on my S4s and it was not loud at all. Along with the stock cat it actually sounded a bit too quiet ... However in combination with the high flow metal cat its the best sounding and also performance wise best exhaust system for the 4-Cylinder Esprit I know of, IMHO. And it will pass the emission test :lol:)

Was your X180R replica exhaust delivered by us ?

Look this is how ours looks like (its the second item from top): http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/product...haust/index.htm

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yep thats the one! not sure if its one of yours or not? I cant say I'm a great fan of all the banging and popping it does, I'm looking for something a little more civilized as it a day to day car. Oh the Cat has been taken of mine. I would have refitted it but looks as though the end which bolts to the turbo has been pinched, as its been cut off.

Thanks for all your replies guys I will see if I can get up to Paul Matty on your next meet and say hello to everyone. (will have to book my service while I'm there too!)

I quite like the idea of building my own exhaust. So may give that ago this weekend. Does anyone know anywhere good in the Banbury/Oxford area to get standard bent pipe and silencers etc?

Also anyone tried mild steel exhausts? I know they wont last as long but stainless give a very raspy/singy (difficult typing sounds!) noise and I think mild steel give less resonance. Just a thought....

I still have the CAT from my SE if you want it, i don't as i like pooping and banging!!

Make me an offer - dunno if it will go on GT3 though?

Rog B)

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Theres a page about exhausts changing on LEW in the maintenance section, the blueflame exhaust people seem a good bunch and the exhausts are apparently alot lighter and give slightly more power and all the feedback looks good as well as the prices.

Hi Marcus,

Yep thats the one! not sure if its one of yours or not? I cant say I'm a great fan of all the banging and popping it does, I'm looking for something a little more civilized as it a day to day car.  Oh the Cat has been taken of mine. I would have refitted it but looks as though the end which bolts to the turbo has been pinched, as its been cut off.

Thanks for all your replies guys I will see if I can get up to Paul Matty on your next meet and say hello to everyone. (will have to book my service while I'm there too!)

I quite like the idea of building my own exhaust. So may give that ago this weekend. Does anyone know anywhere good in the Banbury/Oxford area to get standard bent pipe and silencers etc?

Also anyone tried mild steel exhausts? I know they wont last as long but stainless give a very raspy/singy (difficult typing sounds!) noise and I think mild steel give less resonance.  Just a thought....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Doug,

if it is really that loud I bet that your cat is not in place (or hollow ;o)

The banging and popping will also get very prominent if the exhaust has a crack or a leak somewhere. A hollow cat + cracked exhaust will really produce huge bangs on overrun ;o)

Believe me, a proper X180R replica exhaust in combination with a proper stock cat will not bang and pop and also will not be too loud.

Marcus

Marcus

• 1 month later...

I agree with Markus.

I have a 3" straight thru from the turbo with 1 straight thru muffler at the cats place and its to load if you are running in town etc...Witch i dont do with this car....

I have a 95 Impeza sti with 3" free flow from the turbo I had to put on 1 more smal muffler to get it less noisy in the town...police began to look after me....

My advice is to make a smal straight thru muffler in the cat place or put on the cat and try.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Slightly off thread, I don't suppose anyone has a SJ or Larini S/S Super Sports silencer they are looking to sell\exchange (UK based) for an orginial (in good condition) silencer? I'm after a single R/H exit one which will fit an SE.

Edited by gb_brown

I would like a more 'neighbour friendly' exhaust note too. Has any one experimented with making thier own? I'm liking the thinking of linking two straight through silencer boxes (each a similar size to the one x180 one on theire now) together and running the exit out the last box and back between the two silencers for a center exit.... I would be interested to hear peoples opinions, or if they have tried similar things?

What you need is a Larini Sports exhaust along side a Larini de-cat pipe lurvely :D mine sounds great and pops like a goodun.

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Larinii don't have the system listed in their catalouge anymore...

I really like mine too, the sound is getting better and better the more I drive it.

Wanted to get one for the race car as well but no price list :D

Larinii don't have the system listed in their catalouge anymore...

I really like mine too, the sound is getting better and better the more I drive it.

Wanted to get one for the race car as well but no price list :D

I emailed Larinii about this earlier in the week and they no longer make systems for the Esprit :o Which is somewhat annoying as I was hoping to buy one and hence my post. So next week I'll probably order one form SJ.

I dont think you will be disappointed with the SJ Super sport. My only small gripe is that with a de-cat as well it is a bit on the noisey side. Personally I prefered the sound with my hollow cat on but that looked sh1t so I live with the noise being a bit louder than I would have liked. However, everyone else I've asked doesnt think its to loud and they say it suits the car. :D

Must be me...

Edited by CarlC

I emailed Larinii about this earlier in the week and they no longer make systems for the Esprit :( Which is somewhat annoying as I was hoping to buy one and hence my post. So next week I'll probably order one form SJ.

Hi Gareth,

Did they really tell you that they donot make them anymore ???

I cannot really believe that. We still get these exhausts from them. If you need one, please tell me.

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

This is the email from Larini

-----Message to Larini-----

Hi,

I am currently thinking of changing the exhaust on my Lotus Esprit SE (4 cylinder). You use to have exhaust systems listed on your site for the Esprit, though I cannot see them anymore, have you discontinued making them?

Cheers

Gareth

-----Reply-----

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, we have discontinued those systems.

Regards,

Neil Macauley

I did see you had them still listed on your site. I may be in touch next week.

Cheers

Gareth

Marcus - do they or anyone do a stainless system, lightweight with a UK passenger side exit ?

I really want one for my SE, if not I might have a go at making it myself, few baked bean tins and sticky tape should do the trick :(

Marcus - do they or anyone do a stainless system, lightweight with a UK passenger side exit ?

I really want one for my SE, if not I might have a go at making it myself, few baked bean tins and sticky tape should do the trick :(

Hi Jon,

Yes its stainless and its very lightweight (around 7 kg) and its a RH exit.

Look: http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/product...haust/index.htm

Its the 3rd item from top.

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus

Ah nope, UK passenger ie left hand side :(

7KG would be superb all it needs to do is double back.

Would go for the twin as the GT3 sounds stunning with it but it just wont work for the replica.

Jono

Left hand exits are a pain in the backside. I got mine from Quicksilver Exhausts back in early 2004, told them exactly what model it was for and it arrived with the exit point as if for a S4 onwards which is about 2 inches too far to the left. Phoned them, emailed them pictures of the back of my car and comparisons with stock exhaust, sent it back to them to sort. Arrived back with bits cut down and a sleeve. Still didn't fit - about 1 inch too far to the left - so I ended up cutting it down further and best I could do was get it to sit about half an inch too far to the left which is livable with. In fairness to Quicksilver they would've taken it back again and tweaked it more but I couldn't be bothered as my stock exhaust was off and wanted to use my car.

Steve Wright has a twin exit from Quicksilver which seems to fit nicely - he needed to adapt the RH side of the rear valance obviously but it seems to point out of the right places !!

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

Cheers for the info - tbh I might make my own.

Screwed everything else up on the car ahaha :P:unsure:

Can't be that hard, only prob is I haven't got the propper kit to weld stainless and my man charges a stinking BOMB to do it - hmmm Bib's bloke might be worth a try, his sounds good :P

Cheers for the info - tbh I might make my own.

Screwed everything else up on the car ahaha :P:unsure:

Can't be that hard, only prob is I haven't got the propper kit to weld stainless and my man charges a stinking BOMB to do it - hmmm Bib's bloke might be worth a try, his sounds good :P

exhaust building just got a whole lot easier....

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release012204.htm

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Last weekend I just fitted a complete Larini sytem (Cat and silencer) which I bought from Marcus. The installation went without any big problems. After completion started the car and it sounds faboulous. Not too loud but much deeper than the original system. After some test km. I let the whole sytem cool down and retigthened all the bolts. I am very happy with this system and most important the engine runs even better now.

Freek

Esprit Freak

I sorted the noise out a few weekends ago when I got an afternoon to myself. I have to admit the esprit exhaust system is the simplest I have ever worked on.

Took the floor out the boot so I could give the whole thing a good look over and found the manifold to turbo gasket had completly disintergrated, as luck would have it I found a gasket in the garage, brand new!! fitted that and welded the cat back in, much much nicer now with hardly any popping and banging but a nice sound non the less.

The neighbours are happy for me to!!

Difficult to say if it has sapped any power as while I was looking over the engine I found the tubes/pipes linking to the wastegate and controller valve had perished, fallen off and melted!!!! as they were it would ahve been boosting with everything the turbo could generate!!! that might explain why it was so quick! lol anyway its all sorted now and is a much more civilized drive. phew.