Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Eclat, john player special - Cars/Parts For Sale - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Eclat, john player special

ebay

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting graphics, must have cost a bit to get them done!

Maybe original Team Lotus display/advertising car? better pictures would help!

Don't think so, as this car is on a V plate, which means it was registered after Aug 1980. (DVLA website says 20/8/1980) by which time Lotus were sponsored by Essex Petroleum (I think?) as the Essex Esprit was announced in Jan 1980...(unless they went back to JPS afterwards?) I thought Camel were after Essex Petroleum? Which would make this a home brew vinyl sticker kit.

If it was a factory effort, I'd also hope they would get the wreath around the Lotus badge straight....but I suppose it is Lotus, so maybe not! :harhar:

All half decent S1 eclats are special cars and deserve a loving home. This one looks a bit damp inside and its got a glass roof which won't appeal to everyone, but hope somone saves it. Reserve not met at £600 is interesting however.... It's getting towards that region where you'd be picking up a car thats been MOT'd in the last few years for a little bit more... (maybe this one has, but it looks like its been idle for a while to me...)

Hopefully somone will take it on.

Could be the basis of an HSCC racer for somone as its in black and has some "period" graphics....still tempted to do this myself sometime.

D

I remember this car at Castle Combe a few years ago and had a chat with the then owner. He had some association with a graphics company and put all the stickers on. I remember think it was totally over the top! Back then it was in great condition and I sat in it, the only time I've sat in an Eclat.

Well, if your at Combe this year, don't be a stranger... pop by and say hello. I'll even let you sit in another.... :driving:

Ha... We'd all like one like that, but I don't think Guys up for selling it! (I think a few people will have asked him already...) It's a corker.

I think there are less than a handful of S2's around in that sort of condition, and they don't come onto the market often (although Liam had what looked to be a very nice one about 9 months ago for sale... I never saw Liams red one in the flesh - just going by pics and the opinions of others).

I'll never sell my V8. Other cars will come and go on my driveway, but that one will stay with me forever and my son will get it, unless I smash it or it burns... (touches wood).

Buy one while you still can.

Edited by Dunc

I have a friend who has always collected Elans, 7's. Europas etc.. and always poo pooed my love afair with the Elite but suddenly has asked me if I know of a good/excellent S2 for sale!

Wants to add one to his collection! things must be on the up!

Don't think so, as this car is on a V plate, which means it was registered after Aug 1980. (DVLA website says 20/8/1980) by which time Lotus were sponsored by Essex Petroleum (I think?) as the Essex Esprit was announced in Jan 1980...(unless they went back to JPS afterwards?) I thought Camel were after Essex Petroleum? Which would make this a home brew vinyl sticker kit.

Hi Duncan,

You seem to be a year out. V reg was from Aug 79 to July 80, which is why my Essex Elite was V reg dated April 1980. Essex Petroleum was the main Team Lotus sponsor for the whole of the 1980 GP season, but only half of the 1981 season (when the Essex 'Ponzi' scheme started to unravel), so JPS came back into the frame as sponsors for the next couple of years. But it seems the Eclat is a 79 V, 2.0 litre engine and non-facelifted spoiler etc.

By the way, it's 32 years since my car was used by the team and photographed in the paddocks of several GPs across Europe, including the harbourside at Monaco. Well, I hope to recreate that photo in a month's time, at this year's Historique GP. Kaz and I will take four days to drive down through western France in the Elite, then along the Med coast for three days in Monaco for the racing, then over the Alps for four days back up the eastern side of France, dipping into Belgium for the Ypres Lotus Day on Thurs 17th May. An exciting prospect. Car currently with Mike and Dave at LotusBits for a service/cambelt change, then a shakedown on the MK Tour to Millbrook Proving Ground, Prodrive and Silverstone on 22 April.

Leigh

Sounds like a great trip Leigh...hope you enjoy it. Good to hear your using it a lot. Yes, you are of course correct about V being 79-80, I think I perhaps misread the dvla registration date from their website and extrapolated it into aug-aug, as the first reg date I typed above would make the car a W if it was correct? Took mine out last sunday, needs a UJ so driving gently. Dont want to fix it until I do the diff swap, but still waiting for the diff, running well apart from that. Might take it down to forest row on sunday if I have time to wash it. Looking forward to a chat at combe if your going?