Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sump Oil Pickup - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sump Oil Pickup

jdfish

While doing an engine rebuild we have noticed that the strainer on the end of the oil pickup tube is missing.

Rather than ordering a new part I'm thinking of fabricating a new strainer out of metal mesh and banding it to the pickup tube.

Or should I just leave the end of the tube open?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd keep the strainer....it stops all sorts of stuff from getting into the oil system. You often get small lumps of silicone sealant resulting from over enthusiastic application when refitting the cam towers...this stuff would be a swine if it got into the oil pump and galleries. First time I got into my engine the strainer had loads of silicone stuck all over it.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I may just fabricate my own strainer out of mesh and wrap/band it around the flare on the pickup. It certainly won't fall off as I suspect the original did.

On my 89SE the strainer assembly had fallen apart. The mesh and end cap were held on with epoxy originally!

Here's how I found it during the engine rebuild

P4021871.JPG

P5072047.JPG

I ended up making anew screen by folding a strip of stainless steel mesh in a vise many times.

PICT0918.JPG

And laser welding it to the cap

PICT0924.JPG

PICT0925.JPG

Then laser welding it to the pickup pipe

PICT0933.JPG

I also added some bars to make sure it was secure...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Very well done Travis!

I don't have the strainer parts as the PO had removed it completely so all I have to work with is your picture no 1.

I intend to wrap stainless mesh around the flare and band it around the tube.

........I wish I had a few 60's Canam cars laying around in my back yard!!! That would be sweet...

We're going to use a strainer as you have suggested and fold it over the lip of the pickup tube

Travis,

I've seen some cool things people have did when fixing their Esprits, but this is just plain AWESOME. Nicely done!

:) Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE