Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hmm, keep or sell 1990SE? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hmm, keep or sell 1990SE?

Mysterae

• Gold FFM

I'll keep you posted guys.

The weekend's weather beat me. I was meant to get it out of the garage so I could get the ss exhaust off to get the bracket welded and also take some pictures of the interior. That was for Stock Coachworks (who advertise on LEW) who I contacted earlier in the week about selling it to them as is. As it didn't get out it of the garage I didn't get round to it. Thinking of the price they are going to offer me I'm much better to get it going myself and then sell it, not that I've had an offer yet though.

It's just not Esprit driving or Esprit maintaining weather!

Signature not working...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont sell to a garage....They offered me a rubbish price for my S3.Itlooks a great car.With the work you have done your self since owning the car i am sureyou could have it going in no time.Mike

• Gold FFM

Well I tried to start the car to get it out of the garage at the weekend and it didn't go so well.

After changing the battery as it didn't have enough energy to turn over, the car started no problem, but while waiting for it to warm up I checked underneath to make sure it was clear of obstructions. Unfortunately it was peeing its oil all over the garage floor! I managed to switch the engine off before it ran totally dry. It does look like a good deal of oil is now on my floor and the dip stick is clean.

On inspection it looks like the source of the leak is at or near the oil filter and not the belt side of the engine. I spent some time tonight getting the oil filter out which was pretty stuck. Interestingly the coating on the filter is flaking off and is pretty rusty underneath.

Is it possible that after 4 years or so the seal of the filter has failed or perhaps the seal of the hardware that the filter attaches to (the side that attaches to the engine)? Is that seal replaceable? It only leaked when under pressure...

So next steps, change the filter and put in oil, plenty of oil! Anything else you guys would recommend? Forgot how much I enjoyed working on the Esprit, dirty hands and all!

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Cheers Mike, and all sorted! Popped in to Europarts and got an oil filter and 8ltrs of Castrol Edge 10W60 oil. Spent this evening fitting the new filter and refilled the oil while gently turning the engine over without starting. It took around 5ltrs to get the level back to normal. Started the engine and let it tick over for 10 minutes to warm up and check again for any leaks - all good so far. Later I'll let it tick over for longer and put some load on the engine, then it's out of my garage to get the exhaust off. It's too stuffy in the garage with the fumes to run the engine for long.

I have noticed that the oil temperature gauge isn't reporting anything so later in the week I'll connect up freescan to check if it's the sender or the actual gauge that's not working, could be as simple as a broken wire.

Incidentally, the bloke on the counter at Europarts (Swindon) said I was the second person today to be in getting bits for an Esprit...

Signature not working...