Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
v8 radiator replacement - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

v8 radiator replacement

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced mine with the front of the car up on axle stands. the car was supported at the front two jacking points with large areas of wood to spread the load. access was fine.

However... the job itself is a right pig. 11/10 rating for hassle.

You have to remove the front underbody and front spiltter. and then prise the radiator&ducting out from between the oil coolers....

Good luck. Took me about a day to strip apart, and a day to put back together. Including cleaning everything & replacing the mounting hardware on the front splitter!

Good luck!

Will

Edited by williamives

• 1 month later...

I have recently replace mine. It was a complete pain. I had to take off the undertrays, both oil coolers, the front lower bumper. The worst part was that my car is a '98 and all the bolts were rusted solid. I broke most of the M6 bolts and over half of the M8s getting them out! Also many of the bolts screw either into stud plates bolted to the bumper - I had to remake all 8 of these - or screw into some other fixing attched to the panel which will rotate when you yurn the bolt so the bolt head will have to be ground off.

I propped the car on axle stands and did most of the work lieing on the ground - not the best.

However, now the car is all back together it sits at 82degC onthe button whenever the car is not in traffic, and oscillates between 95 -100degC in traffic - perfect. Also think of how much it wold cost to get a dealer to get it out...

Last year I pulled my leaking radiator from my former 1999 with the front of the Esprit on jack stands. Not a real hard job, just messy and puzzle like with the oil coolers (which I simply loosened but never removed) and body pieces. Once removed I took it to a good radiator shop and had them recore it with an extra row (total of four(4) rows) and re-installed it. I was amazed at the more stble coolant temperatures and whne on the track how it stayed much cooler. Best $550 (US dollars) I spent on the Esprit.

Swithced to G5 coolant (mixed wth distilled water) as well to be nice to the various metals in the system. The lower aluminum drain tube (driver's side of radiator) was so badly corroded, it had pin holes forcing me to replace the aluminum pipe. G5 is friendly to all metals and despite the fact G5 is a long-term coolant, I'd still change it annually.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

• 8 months later...

Do you need to remove the A/C condensers with the radiator, or do they stay in place??? Do they both come down

attached together ???

Edited by Bernie

Do you need to remove the A/C condensers with the radiator, or do they stay in place??? Do they both come down

attached together ???

They come down together as 1 unit and then you can separate them to remove the radiator. No need to completely remove the a/c condensors.

1995 S4s

They come down together as 1 unit and then you can separate them to remove the radiator. No need to completely remove the a/c condensors.

Does anyone have a documented procedure for this? Sound like it would be a good tutorial.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Does that mean I have to disconnect A/C hoses from the condensers and purge the R134??? If so, this is not a DIY

job...Maybe the hoses are long enough so there is no need to disconnect them???

Edited by Bernie