Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 wheels on 4 pots - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 wheels on 4 pots

Been driving for a bit with these fully fitted now. Grip and cornering speed are incredible compared the the standard s4 wheels and the car feels so much tighter, heavier on the power steering and fixed to the road, the chassis talks to you a lot more - closest thing to the Elise imo.

However,

Car seems to want to turn a lot readily than before, at over 60 mph it's more sensitive than the elise and ready to corner like it's being pushed at the front ! It's almost as if there is about another 2-3 degrees more toe out - it's that lively.

Looking at the specs the only difference is the camber, considering the GT3 weighs in at 1230kg - a whole 150 less than the V8 the wheels came from, leads me to think the camber needs re-setting closer to the V8 -infact looking at the car when the wheels are turning the camber changes from negative (pointing in towards the car) to positive - it's this transition + the extra width I reakon thats pulling the car over so readily.

Anyone had experience in the setup - like to get it kinda right before driving it at speed - pretty sure the geo is spot on to GT3 specifications atm - anyone got any clues or experience with this ?

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I only experienced that my tires were running thin on the inside after fitting a 25mm distancer, which is about equal to the V8 wheels extension.

Dont thes scrape in the wheel arch when turning, mine did.... B)

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Been driving for a bit with these fully fitted now. Grip and cornering speed are incredible compared the the standard s4 wheels and the car feels so much tighter, heavier on the power steering and fixed to the road, the chassis talks to you a lot more - closest thing to the Elise imo.

However,

Car seems to want to turn a lot readily than before, at over 60 mph it's more sensitive than the elise and ready to corner like it's being pushed at the front ! It's almost as if there is about another 2-3 degrees more toe out - it's that lively.

Looking at the specs the only difference is the camber, considering the GT3 weighs in at 1230kg - a whole 150 less than the V8 the wheels came from, leads me to think the camber needs re-setting closer to the V8 -infact looking at the car when the wheels are turning the camber changes from negative (pointing in towards the car) to positive - it's this transition + the extra width I reakon thats pulling the car over so readily.

Anyone had experience in the setup - like to get it kinda right before driving it at speed - pretty sure the geo is spot on to GT3 specifications atm - anyone got any clues or experience with this ?

Correct, correct, correct.

Yes, set camber to V8 specs (to account for induced camber caused by wider wheels).

Some toe-out is good ( I like .1deg toe-out per side, any more is insane) Understeer will be much less than SE, might be better than Gt3 as well, not sure.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have 17 inch wheels on my SE with 25 mm spacers

even then the same handling problems on the circuit

lowerd the car on front and back for more than 3 cm's

it gave the car almost -2 camber now

this has done al lot for the drivability

gr Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

I run V8 sizes all round and probably have all four wheels pointing in different directions as a result !!!

I also run some strange tyres, Dunlop D01J 235 40 17 on the front and Dunlop SSR 265 35 18 on the back (they don't make 285 in SSR but these are quite wide for a 265 and were cheap ! :D )

In this setup the fronts have stiff sidewalls and are VERY grippy, the backs are very grippy too but I don't notice the sidewall stiffness.

The steering/braking response with the D01J is astonishing.

I did the RAF sprint on a tight twisty circuit and was competitive against the Tiger/Robin Hood/Westfields there.

I took out the spare, stripped the car of everything not required and got well under a minute when the organiser said if i managed 60 secs I would be doing well. Took one of the guys round during the testing session at the end and he couldn't believe the speed and nimbleness the car diplayed seeing as it was at least half a ton heavier than the heaviest of their motors.

I was the only 'big' car there, there were stripped out metros 16v (racing on the cheap cheap cheap!) and a little race car which was leagues ahead of anything. Great fun.

Anyway, if anyone sees some 285 section 18s in D01J or A048 or R888 going for around