Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eclat opportunity - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Eclat opportunity

MPx

Bit of a weird post this...but as I am the Lotus "expert" in the family :no I said I would so here it is. My nephew (estate agent - but otherwise good bloke) is helping someone to sell their house who is in a bit of a state having recently and rather suddenly lost his wife to a brain tumor. The chap has a few cars littered about which need to be moved on and which includes two "project" Eclats. The better one is R reg in JPS colours, black seats, black and silver wheels and is almost complete (needs carbs and headlining apparantly). The other one was intended to be the doner car I think. The guy has said he wants £1200 for the better one. So the point of the post is to see if :

a) there's a seredipitous moment and that excites someone on here and they want to PM me a number so I can get the owner to phone them to discuss details.

b) that price is probably about right to move it on or if he's just dreaming (He claimed to Steven that he was offered £1800 a while back but thought it worth more then).

c) there really was a pukka JPS version around R reg time or whether its just a standard black one with a few JPS highlights.

d) any thoughts on a good way to sell these sort of projects for fair money - ie neither side being skinned or facing undue hassle.

Cheers

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was never a JPS eclat offered. Lots of owners put JPS stickers on black cars.

As always the price depends on the chassis. If its been swapped for a galvanised one, he perhaps has a chance at £1200. If not, and especially if it has no carbs and needs a headlining and hasn't been on the road in umpteen years, he's dreaming.

Price depends on condition. 1200, for an eclat thats been off the road for years suggests to me that the condition is pretty decent.

Ebay always works well, giving good coverage and allowing a car to meet its market price. Loads of messers on there however.

Too many people see the Lotus badge and remember when they were exotic expensive cars and think they are "obviously valuable". My own personal value on a project car thats not been on the road in years starts around 500. Which is the value of the carbs and engine if they run.

Many thanks for this Dunc. I saw Steven today and fed back your comments. Unfortunately it turns out I got the wrong end of the stick so its not as useful as it should have been. My fault - apologies all round. Aparantly the black Eclat with the JPS stickers is a complete and very nioce looking car with a fairly new MOT and in decent condition. Its the second Eclat that is missing the carbs and roof lining and its purpose in life was just as a doner car. So... a completely different question. How much are decent MOTd running Eclats going for ....and is Scambay still the best place to market them?

If it is in nice order and MOT'd he might be pleasantly surprised by how much he makes from it on ebay.

Values vary on a number of items. Chassis and gearbox have a bearing on value, as will general condition. So hard to provide guidance without seeing some pics.

An eclat in decent condition and running order at 1200 doesn't seem expensive.

do you know if its an S1 or S2? and if it is a 4 speed or 5 speed box? Also, is the chassis the original one or a replacement, and if so, is it a galv one.

PM me the pics if you can.

Thanks again Dunc. I'm told now on ebay so the deed has been done...assuming it sells. Ta much.

Ah,

its that one.... it's been on ebay a few times. I guess everyones definition of "decent conditon" varies....

It definately DOES need a new headlining! Pictures can be deceiving, but it looks like it has the sort of interior that mice would complain about living in.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that car on e bay too! Blacked out windows? I would go for the £500 option. I just sold a mint Gold excel for £2400! I know, 2 owner car, full Lotus history etc.... I am going back to the older versions and looking for a mint s1. They are lovely cars but really are worth nothing. I don't know why this is? If you have a real gem you could maybe manage 4k that's if you don't get robbed or scammed on e bay first by an e bay pirate!