Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
is my charge cooler pump ok on my gt3? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

is my charge cooler pump ok on my gt3?

hi peoples

just checking my charge cooler pump to see if it was operating correctly. heard the easiest way if u dont know what your doing is to put your hand on the charge cooler when you have been for a spin. if its cold then its ok.

its slightly warm. you could leave your hand on there for ages without burning but its not cold

does this sound ok?

dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave,

from what I've heard - The answer is NO.

From memory 'Paul C' has been through this, and will no doubt give you a technical response.

It's suppose to be 'slightly chilly' if that's the correct term.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Dave,

The proper way to do it is to record a freescan log on a sprited run. Plot the MAT vs. MAP and have a look at max temp. Then determine the rate of cooling from MAT (max). That is the differential of MAT (dec C) a function of time.

Or perhaps easier just send me the log file.

Dermot

Dave,

The proper way to do it is to record a freescan log on a sprited run.  Plot the MAT vs. MAP and have a look at max temp.  Then determine the rate of cooling from MAT (max).  That is the differential of MAT (dec C) a function of time.

Or perhaps easier just send me the log file.

Dermot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto all the above, as far as i have seen/heard/experienced. get rid of the poxy half engine speed pump.

basically, if its a std engine driven pump, it's going to be either knacked/or soon to be knacked, so not going to be as good as you can get with a decent electric one. it really is vital to the charge temp. Mine has now got a tired 5 litre a minute electric pump just for a starter and that is still not enough. bare in mind too much flow will not let the coolant stay in the radiator for long enough for proper cooling - (think about it). The Craig Davies EBP from Demon Tweeks etc seems to work for just about everyone unless u have a mega sized chargecooler.

Send a file to Dermot. Await a barrage of discussion involving temperatures, numbers and visa cards. it needs sorting.....

MAT comes up really quick with boost if you havent got sufficient chargecooling, and its cheap power in the long run, sorting this out.

its slightly warm. you could leave your hand on there for ages without burning but its not cold

does this sound ok?

dave

As dermot says, proper way is the scan.

I could touch mine, and as i was able to touch something with the turbo

blowing air into it, i assumed that it was good and that the 'cool to the touch'

that i had heard about when searching pistonheads, was what i was feeling.

For other reasons (suspect water to oil leak at the pump) i had the chargecooler

pump taken off - and it was 100% knackered, i had been kidding myself bigtime!

see some pics one here: http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EOwners/PaulChandler.html

Now it is COLD as in slightly chilled even. Jez (LRG machine) described the one

on his S4s as 'cold as a really cold thing on a cold day' and i'd agree with that too. :P

Obviously the longer you leave it with the engine stopped and the car sat still

it will pick up ambient heat from the engine bay, so check immediately after

stopping from a run.

But a scan will always be best way to tell. :P

Mine has now got a tired 5 litre a minute electric pump just for a starter and that is still not enough. bare in mind too much flow will not let the coolant stay in the radiator for long enough for proper cooling

Can anyone say what exactly is the optimum flow? That Craig Davies thing says about 4 gpm, but Dermots site says that his Johnson marine pump is twice that. It would be nice to have a number to quote to the Bosch outlet over the road when I do mine next month.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The tweeks one is 13.3 litres a minute:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/pr...ORT&from=search

Dermot has a much bigger 'cooler than me so i guess needs the

higher flow rate due to having a bigger core?

I 'assume' that by putting that size on my standard system, i'd be

pumping it round too quickly for the rad to cool it properly.

This is the point where it all gets far techie than i am, soz! :P

hi guys

thanks for the replies.

unfortunately i dont have free scan because im not that technical as u have probably gathered. i fix washing machines for a living not cars. ha ha.

it did go through a freescan at paul mattys a few weeks ago and they never saqid anything about it.

two things i will point out tho.

i do have a hole in my manifold that is being sorted tomorrow.

also i am loosing about a pint of water from the expansion tank every 300 - 400 miles. well i say expansion tank, its the water tank at the very rear of ther car by the rear light clusters.

dont know if that helps at all?

i know its a long shot.

p.s: how easy is it to convert to the demontweeks pump? or am i better getting the existiong one repaired?

thanks

dave

hi guys

if i change to the electric pump how do i blank it off or can i just leave the old pump connected and running? after all there wont be any hoses connected. or will that not work?

dave

Edited by DAVES_GT3

hi guys

if i change to the electric pump how do i blank it off or can i just leave the old pump connected and running? after all there wont be any hoses connected. or will that not work?

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PNM :P

Blanking-plug.JPG

hi paul

noticed u put the pic on ph agssing as well. did u have the pump off them as well or would you reccomend the demon tweeks one?

i cant seem to get the parts catalogue loaded on the pnmengineering site.

how much was the blanking kit?

thanks

dave

hi paul

noticed u put the pic on ph agssing as well. did u have the pump off them as well or would you reccomend the demon tweeks one?

i cant seem to get the parts catalogue loaded on the pnmengineering site.

how much was the blanking kit?

thanks

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hijack! sorry. demon tweeks or Think Automotive or some place in sussex sole suppliers of the Davies Craig EBP (electric booster pump) search Davies Craig(aussie site) it shows the stockists:-

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=27

still aint got round to getting one meself, Ive been a bit busy.

just ordered the one off wc engineering and the blanking plug. $158 inc postage. it has a good wright up and a slightly higher pump rate. they reccomend it for the esprit system so i thought id try it. ill let u know how i get one over the next week or so!

dave

just ordered the one off wc engineering and the blanking plug. $158 inc postage. it has a good wright up and a slightly higher pump rate. they reccomend it for the esprit system so i thought id try it. ill let u know how i get one over the next week or so!

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good stuff!

great minds fink alike, I just ordered one too!

place to put it i heard is on the chassis rail by the gearbox, with maybe one new 3/4" heater hose going to chargecooler inlet, using existing feed from under header tank. kit comes with what looks like a bosch style connector to fit the pump, other end to go into the relay box on a new live ign. feed.

nice one.

it reccomends using the voltage off the fuel pump. what u think? i was a bit warey. dont want to rob the fuel pump of any needed current.

where you going to connect to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

havent permantely done the wiring yet for the current pump, earth is wanged under a plenum chamber bolt, feed is shoved in the live side under a fuse that was ign switched next to fuel pump relay, just to try the pump u understand!

when new pump arrives, gonna splice the nice wiring provided into a proper place like the fuel pump feed. others have done it there with no problems. or fit a seperate feed/fuse holder etc in the relay box/its own grommet out to the pump etc.

havent permantely done the wiring yet for the current pump, earth is wanged under a plenum chamber bolt, feed is shoved in the live side under a fuse that was ign switched next to fuel pump relay, just to try the pump u understand!

when new pump arrives, gonna splice the nice wiring provided into a proper place like the fuel pump feed. others have done it there with no problems. or fit a seperate feed/fuse holder etc in the relay box/its own grommet out to the pump etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not myself use the fuel pump live feed. It may be OK in your application but fuel pump delivery is very sensitive to voltage so any drop due to an extra load and/or poor alternator etc... could be asking for trouble a WOT.

In racing applications they often wire the fuel pump directly to the alternator.

D.

• 4 weeks later...
hi guys

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Use a blanking plug from the 89 1/2 delco non chargecooled Esprit.

Don't leave the old pump in place, eventually the bearings will go and make more annoying noises. We have enough of them as it is.

Calvin

Might not be able to source the plug from lotus (shows as deleted since '02),

This is understandable because the Esprit S was a very short run, and the plug

itself was never gonna wear out or need replacing.

It's my understanding the WC engineering in the US make the plug.

PNM engineering in the UK made mine, but at the end of the day, it's

a very simple part to turn, any shop could make it in minutes.

(see my earlier pick).

:D