Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
coolant container - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

coolant container

bigsi

i want to remove my coolant container, media blast it and re-coat it as it looks terrible, can i just undo the link pipes and remove?, and will i need to refill the coolant throughout? what coolant etc..

i guess the questions have started from me!!

im going to need a parts manual and service manual etc.. where can i get these from?

thanks in advance.

si

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the header tank that is bolted to the inside of the wheel arch?

If so Yes the two smal hoses on top are just for expansion purposes and can be removed with out issue.

There is also the larger hose on the bottom that feeds the system which you can remove and leave upright and not loose much from the system just what is in the header tank.

Glyn

there is a parts list (probably the most usefull) for the turbo 80-87 on ebay now click here

I got both mine off ebay

Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

You should be able to get that out easy enough, and it's abolutely the high-point in the coolant system, so it won't all drain out when you pull out the tank. Just make sure to plug each hose you pull off and tie them up so they don't droop down; that would allow more drainage than you want.

I try to refresh my coolant every so often though. It's better for the plumbing if it's all clean in there. Use your judgement, if it's dirty, just replace it while you're in there. I use Prestone (green) since it's easier to judge its' cleanliness, and ALWAYS use distilled water to dilute it to the desired percentage.

good luck,

Tom Beggan

87 HCi

New Hampshire - USA

Edited by tbeggan

Make sure the coolant is "phosphate free" so it doesn't react with the aluminum - creates another form of deposits besides the minerals from tap water. . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Simon - Go easy on the media, or you'll blast holes in the tank and it'll look like a cheese grater. You'll probably have to solder the top of the filler again when you're done so its air tight and keeps pressure.

Nice and easy job to ease you into tidying up the engine bay :)

Congrats on your new purchase - Mark

2526466280043836567aQCayt_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/553470...043836567aQCayt

I did some drawings of the S2 & S3 header tank for PNM to get made. They now make them in high quality stainless steel. You can't even see where it's been welded. I think they were about

just wondering can i after removal, put a hose pipe into the metal pipe that it conencts to and run water through to flush the system?

i plan on taking the radiator out and cleaning that out also removing fans and cleaning servicing them, i also saw somewhere a mod for putting more fans into an s3 turbo, can someone point me in the direction of that?

also are there any upgraded radiators available?

thanks for all the help guys its most appreciated. manuals and parts lists are on order..

Simon, as some of the othere have commented, the swirl pots get quite corroded, and media blasting it will probably finish it off. :(

As for anti-freeze or coolant as people like to call it now, any quality green one will do (I use Prestone) :(

Modern Red Dex Cool long life type products will eat all the lead solder away in the header tanks/swirl pot and cause leaks.

I would have the radiator re-cored if yours is still running the original. My 50,000 km one was half silted up and not leaking. Even running the car hard for long periods under boost is not a problem any more with the new core.

Dunno how you will fit more rad fans, it already has 3 :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Simon

I have attached a photo of my Header tank. It's slightly different to yours as mine has a slightly modified coolant system that was fitted to post 85 esprits. It was a Lotus Mod, but I believe cars were recalled for the fit, so not all cars may have had this.

I only found this out as I completely dedid my coolant system last year. The parts are listed for this in the parts manual, but there is no diagram. I have drawn one up & if you want to look at PM me your email & I can send you. The main difference, as well as some changes to the pluming, is there is an expansion tank fitted under the right engine panel & bolted to the wheel arch, which is connected to the header tank. I know of people who have already done this, & it doesn

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

I cleaned up my header tank and had to repair it after shot blasting... But also all securing nuts/studs were seized. these were drilled out. I have replaced with rubbernuts (also called wellnuts) these are brass nuts in a rubber sleeve, with stainless bolts. used them on the boot floor as well. havent driven car since so dont know if they are going to stay tight but they are meant for motorbike flarings so ideal for fibreglass cars I hope...

Hi Simon

I have attached a photo of my Header tank. It's slightly different to yours as mine has a slightly modified coolant system that was fitted to post 85 esprits. It was a Lotus Mod, but I believe cars were recalled for the fit, so not all cars may have had this.

I only found this out as I completely dedid my coolant system last year. The parts are listed for this in the parts manual, but there is no diagram. I have drawn one up & if you want to look at PM me your email & I can send you. The main difference, as well as some changes to the pluming, is there is an expansion tank fitted under the right engine panel & bolted to the wheel arch, which is connected to the header tank. I know of people who have already done this, & it doesn

now thats a nice engine bay , all fresh new hoses, wanna come do mine too?

Hi Simon

Thanks, it was one of the many things I did while I was waiting for bits to sort my gearbox out last year. Its a shame it will be coming out again soon. But the good news is I did a lot of the hard work on the auxillaries last year, so that should save me a bit in time & expense.

If your doing a complete make over on cooling system then also you may need to replace many of the smaller alloy pipes as you'll probably find them corroded. For some reason Lotus list these at resonable prices, or did do last year, & seam better made than the orriginals. But the big long U shapped one at the front of the engine is about

hi daz.

pm sent

Hi Simon

Thanks, it was one of the many things I did while I was waiting for bits to sort my gearbox out last year. Its a shame it will be coming out again soon. But the good news is I did a lot of the hard work on the auxillaries last year, so that should save me a bit in time & expense.

If your doing a complete make over on cooling system then also you may need to replace many of the smaller alloy pipes as you'll probably find them corroded. For some reason Lotus list these at resonable prices, or did do last year, & seam better made than the orriginals. But the big long U shapped one at the front of the engine is about

Edited by bigsi

Daz those pipes look spanking B)

That is on my 'To do' list for this year. Could you give me an indication of roughly how much this lot cost you.

Hi troy.

I take it you mean the Samco Hoses? To give you an idea, a 3 mtre lenght of 16mm hose was