Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oh, to sleep........ - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oh, to sleep........

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Liz and I are fed up with the current mattress we have got. It was not cheap and was of the type recommended by the lay-on computer that maps your body etc etc blah blah blah.

We are currently looking at a Tempur mattress after a few hours today laying on the mattresses in the store.

Anyone have any experience of these mattresses or know anyone that does?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Tempur matress about four years ago, I eventually chose the Celebrity matress which was the most expensive one in the range but it was after a lot of trying/laying/research.

The one I chose has the thin top layer of softer foam on it with the more rigid foam forming the main body. It is without doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I would never go back to a sprung matress even the many thousands of pocket sprung top of the range matress I had before.

I did read comments about it being too hot in the summer but to date I can not honestly say I've noticed it being a problem, the one thing I do reallly like is if you get up in the night for a pee and it's a bit cold when you go back it's still lovely and warm where you have been lying (very nice).

I understand that Tempur offer a trial period for them so I'd try to get that offer if you can and see if it suits you. I did have provision to create an air flow under the bed as I tend to 'run hot' as a human which may have something to do with working outside all the time but to date I have not had a problem although I do have air-conditioning in the room. 

• Gold FFM

We don't have the Celebrity model in Australia. There is the regular, the Cloud and then there is a third one, but I can't remember its name.

And if there is a trial period deal, I don't know of that being offered here in Oz. Will ask though.

Thanks David.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

No problem, you can recognise the one I have as it has the softer top layer (about 2 inches thick) and only that model has it, hope that helps.

I think the Cloud 25 is the nearest.

My wife tells me we have had the bed for 8 years now, there is a lot of very divided opinions about these beds but I still maintain it's the best one I've ever slept in.

Edited by B1 RMA

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!  :shock:

We had a Tempur mattress and..... we HATED it!!!! 

For the first couple of weeks we kidded ourselves we'd get used to it, the shop insisted we should give it longer but in the end after at least a month of sleepless nights and constant back aches, a very grumpy Mr & Mrs Villeneuve lost quite a lot of hard earned cash in getting the damn thing taken away and replaced.  :veryangry:

In our experience the few minutes in the store gave completely the wrong impression, the sales staff didn't give us enough information and we suffered as a result. However after the event they did tell us we weren't the first people not to get on with it but stuck with the line of "Your body needs to adjust after years of conventional mattresses". You could probably say the same thing about a bed of nails though... 

If you still want to go ahead with it make sure you know where the shop stands on a free exchange period, we made the mistake of listening to the store and giving it yet more time when we should've gone with our gut feelings. As a result we went passed the allotted time, but by that time we were SO desperate for a good nights sleep I was on the verge of dumping the damn thing in the garden regardless of the cost... and these things aren't cheap! 

Good luck!!! 

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

There you go, I read up on the various comments both negative and positive about these beds and there does seem to be a love or hate scenario with them.

We did the trial as the bed we liked had a total cost of well over £3K with the proper bed frame so not something I was going into lightly.

• Gold FFM

We layed on it for nearly an hour today in the store and found it fine. I am fed up with spring mattresses though as our previous one began to sag and the new one (now 4 years old) has got the mandatory bump in the middle and soft spots where your torso lays. Everyone only makes these bloody pillow tops now so you can only spin the mattress (which we do) but you can't flip them over anymore.

You must be the divided opinion that David is talking about Stirling. :hrhr:

What mattress did you move to the Tempur from and what mattress did you end up getting?

Also, which Tempur mattress did you try?

We're staring down the barrell of over $5,000 Aussie as she wants to move up to a kingsize bed, so that's mattress and base. The queen size base we have won't fit naturally.

Liz is also talking about going for 2 king singles instead of one mattress. Movement isolation.

I'll have to check with SWMBO but it was the top of the range model. We swapped it for whatever decent mattress the shop could delivery asap, we were desperate people but thankfully it's been fine.

If you're seriously thinking of a Tempur it's probably worth looking into some other options too...

Temper-bed-ofnails.JPG

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

• Gold FFM

Now, now. That's just being nasty. :)

I think Tempur is a brand of a certain type of foam. I have a mattress which is a combination of the memory foam and pocket springs. That way I get a certain amount of give from the foam but the more traditional spring overall.

I have a bad back and went for that type, it's done wonders for my sleep and for how my spine feels in the morning.

• Gold FFM

Correct Andy. It was developed by NASA originally. Liz and I just found it more comfortable laying on it in the shop. We tried quite  few, narrowed it down and then did things like laid in the same position on several mattresses and checked things like spine alignment to see how much some mattresses sagged compared to others.

Got home and laid on our mattress and both uncomfortable within a few minutes.

I think I will definitely have to check whether the shop has a comfort guarantee (as I have seen it called somewhere). That way if we find it no good, we can send it back.

My wife got fed up with trying beds after about 6 weeks but I carried on regardless and concluded that although the Tempur was expensive but not as expensive as some I tried (Jensen and a couple of other high end bed makers) the Tempur suited me better, in particular the one I bought with the softer top section.

I travel around a bit and always stay in decent hotels I always come back to my Tempur bed and think hello comfortable old friend. I would say I'd buy another but by all accounts they last forever. 

Edited by B1 RMA

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

I have no problem recommending a tempur mattress. Neither does Liz. Really comfortable.

Australia does not have any sort of comfort guarantee when you purchase a mattress that I could find at any shop. You take it out of the shop; it's yours.

Having slept in a slit trench, in a telephone box, on a straw bale, underneath a Piper Cherokee in a thunderstorm at Le Mans, in the space between a fallen rotting tree and the ground, assorted floors and settees and other places I can't even remember, for me any mattress is pure luxury! My present bed was inherited from a dead neighbour in Kew, and I sleep well, every night......(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

My present bed was inherited from a dead neighbour in Kew, and I sleep well, every night......(!)

not as well as previous owner

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Not so long, anyway.....(!)

So far...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Have tried most of the above posters' beds and the best bed I have ever found was a fully baffled king size water bed, with heater coils under it, and a heavy lamb skin cover atop it and flannel sheets on top of the lambskin. Keep it filled so it balloons into a curved top edge and have never looked back. Takes me about 2 minutes and I am asleep, no matter what. I know they are passe now, but nothing has even come close.

• Gold FFM

Liz and I had a QS water bed, but then when Liz's back started to go bad, she had trouble getting out of it. We thought about trying it here when we first got here, but some questions of the builder found that the bed weighed too much once full to go upstairs in the master bedroom. So it's all packed up in the garage.

When my spine is really bad I sleep on a yoga mat on the floor. OK it's slightly less comfortable than the bed, which almost as hard as a yoga mat on the floor, but I have come to accustomed to a hard bed. The problem is travel, where possible I try to specify "Hard". A particular past girlfriend comes to mind, a bed you almost sunk into. (Take own yoga mat)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)