Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Whine /singing - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Whine /singing

bluejay

Had my v8 rebuilt by Lotus garage approx. 1700 miles ago. From day one there has been a whine/singing noise which increased with the revs. This was more pronounced at idle to 3000 revs or so. It only starts when the engine is warmed up after driving for five minutes or so. Obvious answer seemed like the belts were too tight. Had it back to my Lotus guy (who I trust implicitly) and he has tried everything (belts on, off, slack etc.) but cannot find what is causing this whine. Not even any joy with a stethoscope. He is really at a loss. Anyone out there that could help.

Cheers guys.

The guy who had my car before me had the engine rebuilt. Shortly after the rebuild, he took it back to the garage who took the engine out again to strip down the intermediate shaft and bearings and re-shim it as was making a noise. Not sure if this may be the same problem as you are having? Hopefully not :(

Steve.

Hi James, mine made a similar noise, the source was the gradual disintegration of the A/C  compressor.

Basically once it got hot the noise started, you couldn't hear it at the higher revs; although in all liklihood the noise was still there.

Look around the compressor for evidence of metal shards.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Steven

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm having the A/C system fully serviced the end of the month, hopefully this might do it as it's never worked properly.

James.

Try putting your stethoscope on the fitting to the oil cooler at the front of the bonnet and see if you can hear it there (I know if sounds odd, but try it).

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update guys,

Had the air con serviced by a different Lotus guy. Everything checked out fine and it actually works. The noise is still there even after all belts, ancillaries pumps etc. were checked again. The noise sounds like a steering pump problem, but it can only be heard inside the cabin. Pretty much quiet underneath the car on a ramp, with a stethoscope. Really haven't a clue. SOMEBODY help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gold FFM

If it's only in the cabin, is it some sort of interference through the speakers? I know that's a reeeaally long shot, but might explain why it can't be heard outside the cabin.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thought of that one ramjet, but it's not that. It really is a droning kind of sound, in line with the speed of the engine, only when warm though.

• Gold FFM

Video it?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Interesting that one fellow mentioned oil coolers.

Your problem sounds identical to what my problem was.

--

Put fresh oil in, and no whine.

After a couple hundred miles and it would whine when it got hot.

Then it would whine all the time.

Put new oil in and the cycle would start all over again.

--

Turned out-

Both front oil cooler's fins had clogged over time with filth.

Like 90% clogged.

Cleaned it all out at the carwash, changed the oil, and the whine disappeared.

After maybe 5K mileson the oil, there is a slight whine, but it's almost unnoticeable. But that may be just the Gates blue belts.

So in my case, I'm guessing the oil would overheat and eventually break down, and the cam timing belts were what seemed to be making the noise.

Never saw any metal in the oil, so I guess everything is kosher.

Hope whatever your fix is, it's as easy as mine was.

Cheers for that Brian, it's going back in the garage Thursday, I'll mention that. I don't understand if it is the belt making the noise, how is the oil overheating have anything to do with it.

Just another update fellas. Just back from my Lotus garage and it seems the noise is coming from the centre of the engine nearest the bulkhead. General opinion is the water pump or belt tensioner. I may as well get both done while he's on. Not sure when though, but it'll be sooner rather than later. Anyone out there want to place any bets which one?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another update, and pretty much suicidal if no-one can help. Tensioner replaced, water pump replaced belts checked-----noise still there. If no-one has any more ideas, how about suggesting somewhere to take the car, somewhere, which has someone, who is the dogs doodaaaaas with Lotus engines. Will gladly travel.

Only other rotational item in that area of the engine is the cambelt drive.  Could be anything from bearings, to improper chain guide adjustment. 

Just to rule things out agian with the auxillary drive items...with a cold engine leave the auxillary belt off...start , run the car, rev the engine just enough to see if the sound changed then stop the motor.  Yes you will get a few codes....alternator showing not charging.  But with a cold engine you should be able to start and listen for a few seconds before it gets dangerously warm.  If you have the belt off and the noise is still there , then you have elimated the water pump, power steering, AC, alternator and belt tenshioner all in one shot.  Only item left is the cam belt drive / crank. 

The fact you had your engine apart I would lean to the cam drive bearings / chain / or excessive or two tight clearence of the installed bearings. Probalby not the end of the world if you fix it quickly.  Good part if its this you only need ot take the fron off the engine...should not require tearing the motor down...although it might have to come out.

You may even want to take the plastic covers off and verify the pullys are on correctly on the center cam drive....are the belts running true? Is there any sign of rubbing on the engine or belts? 

Is ther any sign of rubbing on the plastic covers? 

Hi James,

Really need to video it and post it on youtube, otherwise I'd recommend a run to Liverpool where Andy Salter from NW Lotus could have a look. He sorted a number of problems that my usual lotus dealer had introduced!

Good luck

• Gold FFM

.....Had it back to my Lotus guy (who I trust implicitly) and he has tried everything (belts on, off, slack etc.) but cannot find what is causing this whine. .....

From your first post James, has the car been run without the belts on and the noise is still there?

Or, if not, have the same belts been replaced back onto the engine each time?

Thanks for the reply fellas. I can't really truly answer your questions, as I left the problem in the hands of people a LOT more knowledgeable than me. I'm pretty sure they would have done a lot what has been suggested. I'm on holiday next week, I think I'll take Steve's advice and give NW Lotus a ring.

• Gold FFM

What about taking it to Lotus themselves?

Have a good holiday anyway. :)

• 2 months later...

Interesting that one fellow mentioned oil coolers.

Your problem sounds identical to what my problem was.

--

Put fresh oil in, and no whine.

After a couple hundred miles and it would whine when it got hot.

Then it would whine all the time.

Put new oil in and the cycle would start all over again.

--

Turned out-

Both front oil cooler's fins had clogged over time with filth.

Like 90% clogged.

Cleaned it all out at the carwash, changed the oil, and the whine disappeared.

After maybe 5K mileson the oil, there is a slight whine, but it's almost unnoticeable. But that may be just the Gates blue belts.

So in my case, I'm guessing the oil would overheat and eventually break down, and the cam timing belts were what seemed to be making the noise.

Never saw any metal in the oil, so I guess everything is kosher.

Hope whatever your fix is, it's as easy as mine was.

Interesting, this is exactly what I hear on my 97 even down to how changing the oil temporarily solves the issue (thought I was going insane when this temporarily solved the noise!).  Only correlation I can think of is I had my radiator replaced right before this started, maybe I need to stick my head under there and check the oil coolers as I believe they were disconnected and reconnected.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 1 month later...

Just an update people. I went daft and bought every spinny thing to fix the problem(Air con compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump) They are all fitted now and heaven sent----no noise. Still don't know what the problem was as the old components look ok.----PEACE.

James.

Just an update people. I went daft and bought every spinny thing to fix the problem(Air con compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump) They are all fitted now and heaven sent----no noise. Still don't know what the problem was as the old components look ok.----PEACE.

James.

Great news -- congrats on solving the problem without an engine re-do!