Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Whine /singing - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Whine /singing

bluejay

Hi Mark, did you ever get your noise sorted? In my case, it isn't the degradation of oil, it got changed with various viscosities with no affect.

Yes.. I had the problem in Aerobat's #003. It was due to the heavy hydraulic line I had used to replace the factory line. Once I put the factory line in from my other 2002 (#099) the noise went away. But I was very careful to make sure the line was surrounded by lots of foam.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 months later...

What did this end up being?

Don't know.

As my oil has aged a bit in my engine, the noise has come back, but it's almost acceptable now.

Ever since I cleaned my oil coolers, the noise has dropped off considerably

I walked around my car awhile back and, sure enough, a slight whine was audible coming from the cars' RH oil cooler.

Not the LH one, only the right.

My car has all the standard oil lines....

Some time in the near future, I think I'll have a little exploratory tour around the underside and see if there is any oil line to chassis metal to metal contact.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, been a while. Too long a story to go into but my car is still with Andy Salter at North West. I wish to God I'd never heard of him. After forking out £3000.00 and seven months of waiting, my car is worse now  with more problems than ever. He's rubbish. Long story short it's now going to court as he wants MORE money for diagnostic work. I urge you to avoid this man like the plague.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago I have the same problem, a high pitch sound that I can't find.

Later, I replaced the starter and the sound was gone. Somehow, the starter bendix getting bad & not ejecting completely. The device allows the pinion gear of the starter motor to engage or disengage the flywheel of the engine automatically when the starter is powered or when the engine fires, respectively. The pinion gear somehow touching the gear of the flywheel and making a high pitch noise. 

Also check the two timing belt tensioner. One each bank. Maybe one of them has bad bearing. When you rebuilt the engine, did you use the old timing belt tensioner?

Have changed all my idlers up front, no joy.

Changed my oil recently, and the sound disappeared (as is the norm). Within a hundred miles or so, I tightened up the RH oil cooler fasteners from the front trunk area and the whine came back right there.

So in  a couple of weeks when I change to my aluminum radiator, I'll try to isolate the RH cooler mounts from the body as much as I can and see what happens.

But-- I'm not expecting much. 

The issue seems to span all the way from the earliest to the last V8's

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents

Re the whine / singing.

Recently I replaced the origional oil cooler pipes on my 2002 car, as one had a leak on a crimped joint.

Good quality armoured hoses were made up at a local company.

I fitted them through the backbone on the chassis as origional.

Now when the engine is hot I get the whine / singing, which is worst at the r/h oil cooler.

After reading about the possible cause being the "heavier" pipes coming into contact with the chassis I have a question.

Has anyone routed the pipes outside of the chassis?

There seems to be enough clearance to the ground and the pipes could be fixed with rubber clips to to the body floor adjacent to the chassis.

This would isolate the oil cooler pipes from the chassis completely.

Your thoughts please.

Chris Ward

• 4 months later...

I have your solution. The reason you're oil line is only making noise on one side is that is the pressure side of the oil line. The Factory oil lines are nearly as weak as a coolant hose and thus, they tend to get replaced over time with high pressure hydraulic lines. These high pressure lines have a very hard outer layer. The outer layer conducts noise very very well. The lines run from the engine, through the center of the chassis and come in contact with the chassis at three distinct positions. The first position is at the rear of the chassis through the 3" round hole. The second position is just ahead of the shift gate through a 45 degree incline plane. There is supposed to be a rubber surround around that hole that helps prevent noise. After that the hoses go through a 3" metal tube that's about 5-6" long. The lines are supposed to surrounded by a large amount of foam through the entire tube. So.. how is the noise so all encompassing?? Well, the 5-6" metal tube is welded to the front of the box frame which is directly connected to the body at either side. The sound (as far as I can determine) then conducts perfectly up to the windshield, which becomes this huge speaker to amplify the nasty noise.So.. how do I solve this?? you can replace the pressure line with the original factory type hose and ensure that all of the foam insulation is in the right spots. Alternatively, you can go to the "home depot" and get 1" copper pipe foam insulation. The foam insulation has two methods of self-adhesive sealing so that when you wrap your oil line with it, it won't come apart.Now, should you choose this method, you will need to remove the gear shift mechanism completely and fish the whole thing out through the front of the car. So.. attach a wire or cable to the oil line after disconnecting it from the oil filter housing. The reason for this is to make fishing it back through later easier. Once you have removed the oil line you will need to wrap at least 6' of the line with the copper pipe insulation. Then, grease it up a bit with some axle grease.. as it will be hellish to get it back through without lubrication. It will be very challenging to get the hose from the 4-5" pipe to the 45 degree plate without the hose diving to the bottom and getting jammed,... so you will need someone inside the car to help fish it through. Once you pass the first obstacle.. that person will then need to push the hose to the back of the car while the other person tries to guide it through the last hole at the back.. and then.. VOILA!!! You will now have a quiet car..

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to say Thank You for your post. I just had my engine re-built and when it was completed, it had a whine/singing that was connected directly to the engine rev rpm. My Tech took a stethoscope to the new oil lines, and confirmed they were creating noise. Now they will replace the lines with the factory ones, and insulate/pad them. Without your post, I am sure I would have gone crazy trying to figure it out.

Cheers!!!!

• Gold FFM

Why fix it? Great combination. (hic)

:wine::band:

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 3 weeks later...

I have your solution. The reason you're oil line is only making noise on one side is that is the pressure side of the oil line. The Factory oil lines are nearly as weak as a coolant hose and thus, they tend to get replaced over time with high pressure hydraulic lines. These high pressure lines have a very hard outer layer. The outer layer conducts noise very very well. The lines run from the engine, through the center of the chassis and come in contact with the chassis at three distinct positions. The first position is at the rear of the chassis through the 3" round hole. The second position is just ahead of the shift gate through a 45 degree incline plane. There is supposed to be a rubber surround around that hole that helps prevent noise. After that the hoses go through a 3" metal tube that's about 5-6" long. The lines are supposed to surrounded by a large amount of foam through the entire tube. So.. how is the noise so all encompassing?? Well, the 5-6" metal tube is welded to the front of the box frame which is directly connected to the body at either side. The sound (as far as I can determine) then conducts perfectly up to the windshield, which becomes this huge speaker to amplify the nasty noise.So.. how do I solve this?? you can replace the pressure line with the original factory type hose and ensure that all of the foam insulation is in the right spots. Alternatively, you can go to the "home depot" and get 1" copper pipe foam insulation. The foam insulation has two methods of self-adhesive sealing so that when you wrap your oil line with it, it won't come apart.Now, should you choose this method, you will need to remove the gear shift mechanism completely and fish the whole thing out through the front of the car. So.. attach a wire or cable to the oil line after disconnecting it from the oil filter housing. The reason for this is to make fishing it back through later easier. Once you have removed the oil line you will need to wrap at least 6' of the line with the copper pipe insulation. Then, grease it up a bit with some axle grease.. as it will be hellish to get it back through without lubrication. It will be very challenging to get the hose from the 4-5" pipe to the 45 degree plate without the hose diving to the bottom and getting jammed,... so you will need someone inside the car to help fish it through. Once you pass the first obstacle.. that person will then need to push the hose to the back of the car while the other person tries to guide it through the last hole at the back.. and then.. VOILA!!! You will now have a quiet car..

Hi Mark and all,

Thank you so much for your explanation of the whine from the oil lines after a rebuild. My 99 V8 engine was recently rebuilt, and it was doing exactly what you described. The tech rebuilt it with 4000 PSI lines, so after I saw your post, my tech put in some 300 PSI lines, and added some foam padding around the lines as well. The issue is that it is still whining, even after the padding was put in with the 300 PSI lines.

So my question is: Do you think I should go to a lower PSI line (100 PSI?), or is the real issue that the line is somehow still in contact with the chassis, and that more foam padding needs to be added to stop all vibration from running up through the body? My tech is really in amazement over this issue. He checked with Lotus, and was told that they are not supplying the factory oil lines anymore.

Cheers!

• 4 years later...

Solved - after living with this for years (with the original factory oil cooler lines etc) I recently had my engine rebuilt (and new 3000PSI lines installed) and the whine is no more.  As far as I can tell, it was all due to a cracked oil pickup line vibrating like crazy in the pan.  New pickup line, no whine.  

Hope it helps someone ...  

• Like 1
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 1 year later...