Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Club International - 23 September - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Club International - 23 September

hedgerley

Anyone else going to the black tie do at Norwich Football Ground on the 23rd? Fodder courtesy of Delia Smith with Peter Warr (F1 Team Manager from the glory days) as guest speaker. A bunch of Lotus personnel will be on hand to interrogate (about the new Esprit preferably) A visit to the Hethel Test Track on the Sunday is included in the price (

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the jaunt down to Norwich - LCI did a great job. Splendid food and company and some great speeches from Clive Dopson (MD, Lotus Cars) and Peter Warr. There were several Lotus employees there as well, but no new insights I'm afraid. Most were towing the corporate line of last weeks press release. Also met Roger Becker, he who drove the white S1 in the Bond movie, being chased by a helicopter in Sardinia. Probably over 100 people there, with only 4 Esprits at the hotel that I could see, including mine.

Pete Warr's talk was astounding, revealing some amusing and emotional moments from his 40 year career, most of it with Lotus. When he rattled off all the people he has worked with and employed (14 top flight drivers, from Jim Clark through to Graham Hill and on to Ayrton Senna with just about everyone in between) as well as all the technocrats - he actually signed Adrian Newey straight from college and took on Ross Brawn to "help out in the fibreglass shop" when he was at Wolf Racing! One very interesting story amongst many - he had Ayrton Senna in his office at Ketteringham Hall days after his Formula 3 winning season in 1983 and agreed to take him on. For $50k the season! Their biggest sponsor at the time, JPS of course, turned him down. They felt de Angelis and Mansell were the better drivers and were getting them all the publicity they could wish for. He got his man in 1985, for $500k......

Of course he saved the best till last, working his way through several stories about "the Guv'nor" himself. With Hazel and Clive Chapman in the audience as well, I'm sure eyes were moist as Peter expressed real affection for Colin Chapman. Its great that these guys are still around. I just can't get over the Lotus heritage and the way staff, and customers hold the marque in great affection. I actually felt proud, in my own small way, to be part of it. The Esprit was faultless on the 800 mile round trip and once again drew its fair share of attention in various service station car parks. A great weekend.

• Gold FFM

Nice recap Mark. :rolleyes:

Wow. Senna for $50K! - and turned down. Unbelievable.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Having done a similar trip today, I should have mentioned one of Peter's stories about Jim Clark. I guess as most know, Jim lived on a farm near Duns in the Scottish Borders. He once made the trip home from Hornsey in London, the original Lotus factory, to Duns in a Lotus 11 in four and a half hours. Thats 351 miles - in 1956, before motorways and city bypasses. Do the math.

Punch it into AA Routefinder and it suggests 6 hr 35 min. In fact, that trip took me just under 6 hours in the Esprit today, running motorway or dual carriageway nearly all the way. Mind boggling.