Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crank Case Breather hose - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crank Case Breather hose

BenL

Does anyone know if the crank case breather hose on an (G)S3 is meant to feed back into the air box or feeds in to the atmosphere?

My hose has lost an attachment and blowing fumes into the engine bay :) . Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,dont ask me why but when I bought my 84 turbo My breather just vented into nowhere,not even a rubber hose on the metal pipe on the crankcase!!A quick call to SJ,who supplied me with the correct hose,but there was also the small problem of no connection pipe on the airbox not even a hole!!!! Steve at SJ supplied me wih a metal flange which I araldited onto a freshly cut hole in the airbox,problem solved.But I am still mystified about the lack of connection pipe on the airbox especially as Bell and Colville installed the engine,so here is my question ,which model does not have a link to the box???Or did mine heal up!!!!

Paul :)

On my turbo it connects to a small attachment on the bottom of the airbox.

should i have one on mine then? i took the airbox off the other day to check the air filter and there was nothing attatched to the outer box. got a piccy there glyn?

as far as i can make out, manufacturers cannot vent the crankcase breather to the air(rules)

however, oil particals in the breather is not good for the turbo, so it is generaly disconnected and either redirected into a catch tank then the 'cleaned air' is re-connected to the air box, or, it is disconnected compleatly and vents to air with or without a catch tank.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

look down towards the bottom of the engine just above your starter motor you should find a largish black pipe that is connected to the engine directly, this is your crank breather pipe.

It is shown in the engine section of the parts list if you still cant find it.

Glyn

Does anyone know if the crank case breather hose on an (G)S3 is meant to feed back into the air box or feeds in to the atmosphere?

My hose has lost an attachment and blowing fumes into the engine bay :D . Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.

That hose is for the crankcase PCV system, and is connected to a nipple on the underneath of the air box.

Fumes and pressure from the crankcase are sucked back into the engine via that hose and the fumes are burnt in the combustion chambers. It also causes negative pressure in the crankcase at higher revs , lessening the chances of leaks and freeing up a bit of power :lol:

S3PCV.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

This all sounds very confusing!!! Why do some air boxes have pipes and others not? Should my 84 Turbo just vent to air then? I put the pipe on 5 years ago as I wondered where the wisps of smoke were coming from when I looked in the rear view mirror.Also surely an open vent into the sump is asking for foreign objects to get in?What do other early turbo owners have on their cars?

Paul (confused)

:lol:

Paul - Mine's an 84 as well (Domestic UK Spec) and deffo has the hose going to the air box.

Seriously doubt it's been changed as the airbox has the original stickers for the air filter element and I've been very careful to preserve these when I was tidying up the engine bay... Maybe just another case of Lotus making it up as they went along :lol:

Paul, I think some early Turbos came through with an Adapter sleve to vent the crankcase gasses into the inlet tract.

It would be where the breather hose would be connected to.

Its shown as 024 on this diagram.

Maybe your car came outfitted like this and its been left off by a previous owner or someone has installed an earlier airbox to your car?

BTW my Federal 83 has the airbox type breather (011 on this diagram)

Turboairbox.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Thanks Wayne,it looks like the diagram covers both possibilities without showing the hose.SJ supplied the purpose made hose which went directly to the airbox,all I had to do was glue the flange at the correct point which matches the diagram.That was some 15000 miles ago and I have had no problems with the turbo,made me feel much happier after I had done it!!

Paul.

I am just in the process of fitting a catch tank to my S4.

I got as far as cleaning out the hoses and airbox of all the muck that has accumulated there.

Astonishing that all that crap is going into the air that the engine breaths, why bother with a filter element! I was elbow deep in induction hose earlier and it was grim. Black goo everywhere. Filth.

I just need a blanking part for the other inlet pipe (there are two) on the catch tank and a bung of some description for the airbox crank breather inlet pipe thingy. Then a couple of nuts bolts washers and some epoxy to seal it all and tidy it up.

A simple solution, I think, to getting oil spitting out of the dump valve all over my inlet manifold! Might reduce the odd combustion temp and thus help with knock. Who knows.

Dom