Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Obligatory Photo Post... - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Obligatory Photo Post...

dos Santos

I have had the pleasure of seeing Karls car in the flesh! :blink: and it looks the absolute t1ts! There are only two littel things I think I personally would have done differently.... and out of the zillions of mods done in one hit - I think that's pretty good going! :D There are sooooo many things done to it that you get the really in your face ones and don't even notice or realise half of them until they're pointed out!

Edited by evil_dr_fish

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey! Im near Greenwich 5 mins from the Blackwall tunnel. I was going up via a girlfriends' place to the big Oxford LEW meet. Have another GF who lives in Enfield too...

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

I'm kind of glad that I didn't get a Stephans shape, cos I wouldn't be able to stop myself making it look like the GT racer. I love this car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you should say that your not the only one chek out mike's

Mikes

As for Robin in a car ummmmmm well he is rumered to be dangerous to esprits when not in one so whats he gonna be like in one!!! :blink:

BLIMEY!!! What are the chances of that?! lol

I guess you must be Paul Fowler then?

I was the first one on LEW!

About half way down :D

Can I ask - we never figured out why the car was laid up in the first place?

I bought it from Nick Warren who had it for about 5 years or so from what I could gather. He said got it as a non-runner (well it would start but wouldn't rev) and it sat for 5 years!

Takingdeliveryofmynewtoy.jpg

I am said person Robin. I bought the car in 1990 from a chap called Don Manton who lived in London, and owned until 2003. March I believe. The car was a runner when Nick purchased it, but it did need some work.

The steering rack was partially seized and the paintwork had started to delaminate in different area's, a problem with the particualr type of paint / laquer being porrous. Due to the car standing about, the wastegate used to stick for the first few miles. Other than that, I am unaware of any direct problems.

I sold the esprit because she was not being used at the time and it was to criminal to leave her sitting there.

I believe the car may have been involved in an accident prior to my purchase, nothing major, as there was evidence from a poor respray on the ns rear qtr i think. The passenger seat stitching had come undone at the bottom of the bolster. I am unaware of the car being keyed during my ownership. The car had a service history will Bell and Colvill in Surrey and was originally supplied by them.

There was supplied with the car all receipts, paperwork and invoices and documented records during my ownership, about 3 A4 files all told. The car was supplied in Metallic Silver with red half hide interior. No aircon (mega hot in the summer). The gearbox input shaft was replaced around 44K as the Nylotron washer broke up and proceeded to try and chew up the crankshaft roller bearing.

Apart from that, the car was reliable and only required regular oil changes, with Castrol Syntron every 4000 miles and tyres, which it devoured quite happily on an annual basis. She was my everyday transport initially, until upstaged by numerous company cars. I was going to do the necessary work to bring back to desired condition, but house move negated it.

So there you go. Hope that gives you an idea. If there is anything you want to ask, fire away and i will answer if i have the information :blink:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Wow! Small world!

Thanks for that info :blink::D

Yep the steering rack was very fecked even I sussed that as we were pushing it backwards onto the truck!!

I had bought the car without ever having driven an Esprit ...or for that matter wiithout even having been IN one or having seen one in the flesh other than ONE for 3 seconds on Farringdon road!

Hmmm a lot of that history must have got lost somewhere :) I got half an A4 'wad' with some very minor stuff in it and a few laminated MOT's and insurance docs :( I have bought a laminator as I thought it was a nice touch and would be good to maintain!

We found that it wouldn't rev when the accelerator was pressed but she would start up and idle.....

We only guessed that it had been keyed - it was pure speculation!

Glad you have mentioned about the wastegate! I am sure Geoff will have really checked it over at the time but I shall particularly draw his attention to it now you have mentioned it.

Didn't know anything about the input shaft either!

Hopefully having the seats sorted out once the fans and doors are done. Also hoping to get he glovebox redone and the centre console as they had a coin or something wedged under them for years and have deformed! :D

On a really superficial point, I do find the CD player idiosyncratic! Only occasionally will it accept a cd! Oh yes.. found a couple of random switches lurking around the cabin (under the dash iirc one on each side) but coudlnt figure out what they had been attached to? Any ideas?

Edited by evil_dr_fish

Wow! Small world!

Thanks for that info :):(

Yep the steering rack was very fecked even I sussed that as we were pushing it backwards onto the truck!!

I had bought the car without ever having driven an Esprit ...or for that matter wiithout even having been IN one or having seen one in the flesh other than ONE for 3 seconds on Farringdon road!

Hmmm a lot of that history must have got lost somewhere :D I got half an A4 'wad' with some very minor stuff in it and a few laminated MOT's and insurance docs :( I have bought a laminator as I thought it was a nice touch and would be good to maintain!

We found that it wouldn't rev when the accelerator was pressed but she would start up and idle.....

We only guessed that it had been keyed - it was pure speculation!

Glad you have mentioned about the wastegate! I am sure Geoff will have really checked it over at the time but I shall particularly draw his attention to it now you have mentioned it.

Didn't know anything about the input shaft either!

Hopefully having the seats sorted out once the fans and doors are done. Also hoping to get he glovebox redone and the centre console as they had a coin or something wedged under them for years and have deformed! :(

On a really superficial point, I do find the CD player idiosyncratic! Only occasionally will it accept a cd! Oh yes.. found a couple of random switches lurking around the cabin (under the dash iirc one on each side) but coudlnt figure out what they had been attached to? Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the car is still fitted with the Sony, It was never used that much and demonstrated the same problem prior to being sold. It was a brand new unit and never used much. I am not sure how susceptable it was to heat in that area. With reference to the switches, If i remember correctly there was a small silver stalk switch under the dash on the righthand side. I believe it was linked to the Scorpion alarm somehow and was an isolater switch. I do not remember the 2nd switch.

The input shaft should be fine as it was a brand new item when replaced. I am not sure too many people are aware about the Nylotron washer which sits between the shaft and the crank roller bearing. Thay become brittle and break up. Because the input shaft is sprung loaded, it then proceeds to try and drill into the end of the crank. So for future reference if you cannot engage the gears and you get a drilling type sound from the gearbox, do not assume it is the clutch mate.

I still have a load of photos of the old girl. If i ever get a chance to finally attend a meet, I will bring them with me :D

Another thought. The os front coil sring was replaced also, as the original sheared in half! This has been matched by chassis number and load specifications as they do vary considerably.

If i think of anything else, I will let you know :blink:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Oh yes.. found a couple of random switches lurking around the cabin (under the dash iirc one on each side) but coudlnt figure out what they had been attached to? Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My S3 had one there - factory alarm (long defunct and no idea what the switch did)

My SE has a silver stalk type one there - cut the fuel pump feed.

God only knows why,security i guess. Have now got it used as a switch on the fused supply to my radar unit (this is what i used the switch for on my S3 too)

FWIW

:blink:

My S3 had one there - factory alarm (long defunct and no idea what the switch did)

My SE has a silver stalk type one there - cut the fuel pump feed.

God only knows why,security i guess. Have now got it used as a switch on the fused supply to my radar unit (this is what i used the switch for on my S3 too)

FWIW

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, well that will be that then. Excellent :blink:

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

'Ere we go then.

Some pics of my baby.................

6966.jpg

7064.jpg

7065.jpg

Only took me 2 years to find a Lotus Racing Green S4s, and I can definitely say it was worth the wait.

Now my face is constantly like this --->>>> :)

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle