Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
s4 1993.5 front brakes (toyota) - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

s4 1993.5 front brakes (toyota)

Hi all,    had a brake rub noise from front passenger side.Taking it apart I had to use a hammer to swing it upwards.I know it should swing upwards easily on the top slide pin(not bolt as i have looked at on many toyota references).I have had the car for 18 years and only ever put wd 40 each side of the top rubber boot.I have the full workshop manual explaining how to use a chisel to get the top boot and its carrier out but which is the best way to get it apart/off the car  and what replacement parts are there , who supplies them and what toyota is it off? Any help greatly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The callipers do seem to go sticky occasionally, you should be able to swing the calliper up far enough so that it's clear of the disc and mountings, then just slide it off the pin (away from the mounting plate). 

You could try a rebuild but generally I'd say, go to a local automotive (trade) supplier, ask them to look at the Toyota Supra 2.8 MA61 brakes and check compatibility, then give you a price for an exchange pair of callipers.

Alternatively, look to Brakes International.

If you do go for the option to do it yourself, make sure you put a decent amount of rubber grease behind the dust seal.

Thanks for the info Andy,the length of the brake hose on drivers side was too short ,on any lock, to swing caliper completely clear so i removed the outer pad and hammered the caliper inwards about 5 mm, pushed the slide pin dust cover back and could now see the best place to squirt the wd 40.Swung the caliper many times but still pretty stiff.Used a 19mm socket over the inside pin cap to knock the caliper back in position.My pin cap has a rubber "bung" in the centre of it, which is fairly loose,can it be pulled out to lubricate from that side?The replacement on sjs website does not have this.I will investigate the Supra a.s.a.p. Does anyone know a source of the horse shoe shape anti-squeal shims?

Hose too short, even if you turn the steering?

That rubber in the centre of the cap is the air hole, to allow air to move and the pin/ seal not act as an air spring. You can remove the whole cap (looks like a core plug).

If you really cannot get the calliper off the swing / slide pin then just undo the two bolts and take the whole bracket off.