Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel cut-off valve - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel cut-off valve

Hi

if I bypass the fuel cut-off valve and feed the carbs directly from the fuel pump - will this "drown" the carbs in petrol and flood them?

Or should it make no difference to the amount/flow of fuel to the carbs?

Or does it play any part in the supply of fuel to the carbs?

Cheers

Nick

www.nickslotuseclat.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

I had an Éclat that had the fuel cut off removed and it ran fine with no Carb flooding, but one day I parked overnight in a down hill parking place, when I went to start up the next morning the whole fuel tank had syphoned in to the carbs and filled the bores up with neat petrol, this resulted in an hydraulic lock up of the engine,

Lucky for me it didn't try to start first or I could have ended up with a bent conrod!

Paul

The fuel cutoff is there exactly for the reason Paul mentioned.  I didn't know what it was when I found it in the fuel line so I pulled it.  It is OK in my case because the original fuel pump had been replaced with a Facet type pump which shuts off fuel flow when off.

I doubt it would pose any meaningful restriction considering the fuel needs of the engine this size.

Also, your site is great, thanks for documenting everything.

I just looked at the last page of your site and see that you are running a facet style pump as well.

You should be all set as I think all pumps of that type cut off fuel flow when off.

• 4 years later...
  • Gold FFM

for a temp measure, can you simply disconnect the valve and bypass it to trial run an engine

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I have just had a similar issue on my Elite, the take off pipe from the fuel lock valve was cracked. I managed to source on on fleebay for the grand sum of £12.00 pounds plus postage. Works perfect and has the option to switch off the fuel flow manually which can be a help as an anti theft device.

ORDER DATE

07 Jun, 2018
ORDER TOTAL
£12.49
+ £2.90
postage
Order Petrol diesel fuel solenoid shut off valve 12V autogas conversions,liquid VALTEKReturn this itemView order details
1 item sold by reigan
Petrol diesel fuel solenoid shut off valve 12V autogas conversions,liquid VALTEK

Estimated delivery Sat, 09 Jun - Mon, 11 Jun

This item has been dispatched.

ITEM PRICE:
£12.49