Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ran out of fuel... - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ran out of fuel...

Hmmm... a few weeks ago I "broke down" with 1/4 tank of fuel showing on the gauge. However, when I filled up with petrol, it got me going again. I wrote about this on the "Inertia Switch" thread.

Well, this morning I proved it was a fuel gauge problem, as I ran out of fuel (again), and the gauge was still showing 1/4 full. :o

Now, I know absolutely nothing about the fuel gauge, sender or even how the low fuel warning light works.... so was hoping to find someone here in the know!

Here's the background:

- With ignition switched off, gauge returns to totally empty

- When I fill up, gauge goes to full (almost)

- Gauge works perfectly down to 1/4, but then will not go any lower while driving

- Fuel warning light never comes on

- Eventually car runs out of fuel :)

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or does it suggest anything obvious?

I was thinking that it must be something with the sender unit in the fuel tank (never sending a signal lower than 1/4, hence why no warning light), but as I said, I don't know the system.

As the factory day is rapidly approaching, and I have to drive 1,100Kms to get there, the last thing I want is a dodgey fuel gauge!!

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Rob S

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can reset the trip meter every refill and use the milage as an indicator as long as you know how far you can go on a tank

cheers Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy

Thought about that, but have two small concerns:

1. Don't think I've ever driven the Esprit for long enough in one go to empty a tank, so don't really know how far I can go between refills (long journey instead of multiple short ones)

2. It's difficult to consistently fill the Esprit tanks to the same level due to the problem of having to wait for the tanks to equalise etc.

These two points leave quite a margin for error, and I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of France with an empty tank! On the other hand, I also don't want to stop too frequently to refill :o

Rob S

Thanks for the reply Andy

Thought about that, but have two small concerns:

1. Don't think I've ever driven the Esprit for long enough in one go to empty a tank, so don't really know how far I can go between refills (long journey instead of multiple short ones)

2. It's difficult to consistently fill the Esprit tanks to the same level due to the problem of having to wait for the tanks to equalise etc.

These two points leave quite a margin for error, and I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of France with an empty tank! On the other hand, I also don't want to stop too frequently to refill :)

Hmm... Firstly I am not a V8 owner so take what I say with a pinch of salt... :o But it sounds like it might be the sender unit that is located in your right hand tank (might be the left tank if you have a pre 98 V8). In the V8 the fuel sender also incorporates the low fuel switch so the fact that it is not alerting you to the low petrol in your tanks doesn't look promising.

My fuel sender died and the symptons were very similar to yours - that said my S3 has only a few wires to check so am not sure if anything can be resolved using the ECM with the later cars? If it is any help fitting a new sender took about 10 minutes and cost about

Edited by Goose
banner-1.jpg

Thanks Goose - that was very helpful.

I took the sender out this afternoon to see if there was anything I could do.

All looked ok - the float that moves up and down with the fuel level was working perfectly.

.... but the strange thing was, even with the sender out of the fuel tank and with the sender float in its lowest position, the fuel gauge still registered 1/4 tank of fuel! (and no warning light on)

So, it seems that the sender is sending an incorrect reading :)

I called PNM - they looked up the sender unit. For a pre '98 car, the sender unit costs

Rob S

Thanks Goose - that was very helpful.

I took the sender out this afternoon to see if there was anything I could do.

All looked ok - the float that moves up and down with the fuel level was working perfectly.

.... but the strange thing was, even with the sender out of the fuel tank and with the sender float in its lowest position, the fuel gauge still registered 1/4 tank of fuel! (and no warning light on)

So, it seems that the sender is sending an incorrect reading :)

I called PNM - they looked up the sender unit. For a pre '98 car, the sender unit costs

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

I fill up aboit every 200 miles as well. I have managed to run out once in my V8 and I felt like a right cock, I can tell you.

Yep, have to agree, it doesn't feel clever!

BUT... after some investigations, I have all the answers I was looking for:

- I found the specs from VDO for their sender unit

- Tested my sender, and all was according to spec

- Followed the VDO recommendation for testing the gauge, and all was also ok

What I concluded from the testing is that:

- my gauge & sender are working ok

- my gauge NEVER reads lower than 1/4 full, even when completely empty (unless the ign is switched off)

- VDO make a version of the fuel gauge where you can calibrate the empty reading

- I guess my gauge has never been calibrated

- To do this, you have to remove the fuel gauge from the instrument binnacle

- .... and right now I can't be bothered :D

BUT.... I saved the best bit 'till last.....

Why did'nt my low fuel warning light illuminate?

Answer: It did.... but it had fallen out the back of the instrument binnacle so it couldn't be seen!!!

:D:(:(

I love owning my Lotus!

Rob S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just back from a 2,500 tour round France and Spain in a v8.

Fully loaded (2 people, both boots full) I was easily getting 300 miles between fills. I did get about 370 miles on one motorway run before the warning light.

If you are driving without much use of boost, I think you will get a similar result.

For interest, I got just over 27mpg!

Jim

hi Jim

When I've repaired my 52V8 I would like to take it to Spain to surprise my parents.

They live in the Torrevieca area, but some of the speed humps seem massive (although I've never measured them).

How did you find your ground clearance? Was it an issue?

Anyway who says lotus' are't reliable - bravo!!!

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

Most of the roads were very good. Although some sections of the motorway were a real eye opener with large pot-holes and adverse cambers bends (the bit just over the border from Biarritz - and it was pissing down).

I treat my chin spoiler as expendable. It is a long way from "as new." The worst problem is getting in to and out of underground car parks and on / off ferries. If I can, I load the rear boot and use the handbrake to ease the shock on the front. Oh - and approach everything at an angle.

At one hotel the porter told me that the Esprit was not too bad. They had got a McLaren F1 stuck on it's chin trying to get it in to the car park!

Have take the Esprit round Europe twice now without any incident.

Jim