Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
rear wheel bearing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

rear wheel bearing

Hi guys, one of my rear wheel bearings has started rumbling.

looking at the parts diagram I notice that the stub axle/wheel bearing assy are bolted to the alloy hub carrier. Can this assy be removed without having to remove the alloy hub carrier from the car?

I realize the bearing will need to be removed from the stub axle on a press. I have ordered a new lower axlestud/split spacer/nuts just in case

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I did mine without removing the hub carrier. 

The challenge is not the big nut of the stub axle nor the stub axle in the bearing, it's the little 7mm metric fine cap head bolts that secure the bearing outer to the ali carrier. 

With mine I had to remove the drive shaft to be able to drift the bearing assembly out of the alloy hub carrier. Bolts came out reasonably easily but the bearing was not moving.

I also had the bearing sieze and had badly scored the hub itself so that needing changing too.

thanks for the info pete.

At the minute my driveshafts are dry so rather than disturb the seals, if the bearing is seized into the alloy hub i'll remove the whole alloy hub assy. I've ordered new lower hub mounting stud, split spacer etc just in case

The P.O. of my car "winter" fitted the lotus upgrade suspension/poly bushes about 5 yrs ago and re-assembled everything with plenty of copper grease, so i'm hoping everything will come apart moderately easily