Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
An fitting seals ? Or not. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

An fitting seals ? Or not.

Jacques

Hiall,

Today i just installed a kit of new fuel hoses, fuel filter and some nice AN fittings.

As far as I can see, there is only one place I could re-use a White hard ring, and that is on the coupling from the fuelhose to one end of the fuel rail.

All other connections, there are no O-rings to seal. Of course there are on the old steel fittings, as they are made in a different way.

So, just a moment ago, I saw on a web page, there is something called an AN O-ring seal.

MGLP!

Do I need a bunch of those or not? I thought that AN fittings, and NPT to AN couplers did not use seals, as they seal in themselves because of Construction.

Please help, before I assemble rest of car and start up, potentially spraying fuel all over...

Here's a Picture of the only seal I could find on the old hoses, that had to be re-used, as mentioned above: White ring on the old hose on the left side. I used it because there is no conical shape on that part on neither the old or new part.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-09122200-1384718717.jpg

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

I was hoping that maybe someone here could give me some directions on what to do. Meanwhile I have written to Ramspott & Brandt and they answer give me no answer. The jsut said I can use old orings and a White plastic ring.

Well, I called around to companies WHO sell AN fittings and alike, and they explained that it depends of the type, use and brand.

Obviously the one place where a bigger Black hex shaped locking ring (or what ever it's called) is used as in the above Picture, I have reused the White plastic collar, as there is nothing else to seal.

All other Places, like for example between the new Black NPT to AN adapters, I have no idea what to do.

All Places the old O-rings seems too small to do any good, and there's no recess to place an O-ring for example in, like on the original fitting.

There was no instructions in the kit, and I have no instructions from my emails so far. I have emailed to the comapny Again, with a repetetion and even more specific questions, as I really don't wan fuel spraying all over, and risk a fire ;(

I think it is very dangerous to sell these type of things with no explanations, or advice, special parts or what ever is needed.

It is not because I am not a pro mechanic, but because there needs to be detailed and clear instructions because of the specific type that company uses, which is not indicated. And it varies from brand to brand.

I hope this may clear up any potential dangers. I will report back asap.

I also hope someone here may be able to light up these questions.

The kit can be found here, and I don't show it for commercial reasons, but to clarify these specific problems:

http://www.ramspott-brandt.de/

Unfortunately i cannot copy the specific link, so if you want to look at it, please chose "shop English", then "esprit 1988 onwards", then "engine" and scroll down to "stainless steel braided fuel hose kit".

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)