Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1981 S3 V8 conversion - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1981 S3 V8 conversion

It isn't going to be an exact replica because McLaren will sue me to within and inch of my life :)

Is that for real ? I know a lot of very accurate replicas I've seen at kit car shows and so on.

The Stratos kit I looked at was spot on, perhaps a trained eye could see the difference but even an enthusiast would struggle (until they got to see the inside etc)

I've also seen a GT40 done up so well, you'd believe it was the real deal - or is that becuase they are non-production cars now ?

BIG fan of the F1 - love it love it love it. Not overly keen on the kit though, reminds me of an MR2 mock up I once saw :)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Someone on another forum I am on looked into building an exact replica a while back and found that McLaren's legal would come down hard on anyone copying their design (company or individual) due to it's exclusivity. Now whether this would actuallt happen or not is unproven, but he wasn't prepared to spend a lot of time and money making a car only to loose it.

The McLaren F1 is also out of production, so I really don't know the legal stand point with replicas.

I think if you don't try and pass your replica off as the real thing then you should be OK.

I know what you mean about the DDR kit, there are certain elements I don't like about it (the windows, roll cage and headlights for a start), but the basics are there (the overall shape and proportions are correct, the doors are right) so it should be possible to work with it and get something I am happy with.

Even if I can get it 90% there is will still be cool :)

Hilly

Edited by USAndretti42
Removed quote

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

reps of older cars is much easier imo.. problem with replicating sth like the Macca which was and still remains a technical tour de force..

admittedly the 5.6 csi isn't quite a Macca but in terms of bnlock architecture it's the same.. albeit heavier.. the heads are more akin to a B30-S52 3.2.. I have heard folks like Dinan replicating the Macca lump from a Bm V12.

Me, I'd pick something older that wouldbe more easily to capture the spirit of the original.. an RS4 engine would seem special in anything 'other' than a Macca..

if you really want to go Macca.,. then M6 would seem far cooler.. perhaps buy up a 95% complete project, rebuild it and drop in your firecracker... pa pah.. :)

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

This why I am aiming for and Audi V10 as it is that little bit more special.

As I said before, I am not trying to copy the McLaren as I will fail miserably as it is such an incredible car.

What I want is to build something from the ground up that looks like it, has the central driving position, goes half well and hasn't been done before, which is the problem with all the other older replicas.

Hilly

Edited by USAndretti42
Enough of the quotes already.

Based on what you've done with this Esprit I'm sure it will be a success - definatly agree with the headlights, it really stands out PLUS you need to have Lotus Esprit sidelights (the long elongated ones) B)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

You da man!!!!

These are just the tie-in I need to keep a build project thread on here.............

Do they have the bulb holders/reflectors or is that just lenses ???

Hilly

Edited by hilly

Not at the moment as the interior is all in bits while fitting the power steering.

Hi have got a few shots of the car taken by the PPC photographer which didn't make it to the mag....

_K3C1114.jpg

_K3C1091.jpg

_K3C1196.jpg

You also asked for an interior shot a while back so here is one of those as well

_K3C1189.jpg

When the Mutant is back together I'll sweet talk Claire to hold the camera at the side of the road while I blast past making lots of noise.

Hilly

Mine next Esprit will be an S3 with a BMW V8. Hilly can you make me one?

Jean

At this rate there isn't going to be any original S3s left.

Apparently if you wait a few months/year you can buy a factory one with a BMW V8 in it.

Hilly