Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 crying for help! - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 crying for help!

I bought a set off ebay as aparently they are the same as the mgb 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-BRAND-NEW-PAIR-OF-MGB-INTERIOR-DOOR-HANDLE-BEZELS-1968-TO-1980-CZA2259-/310806531077?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item485d834c05

If I remember correctly, I think mine were just bolted on.. However I took mine off years ago now! They definitely didn't have a rubber seal , but then again mine was re-sprayed a while back.. 

If you need new rear lenses, they are the same as an old mini and very cheap off ebay

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

Thanks Vin, at that price I will buy new and saving climbing through spider webs in the loft!!

I have ordered some new lenses for the number plate lights, the holders are not great but will have to do.

In the back of my mind I remember a thin trim on the ears but could be thinking of S3 or Turbo's, I will ask Steve at SJ in the new year.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

No problem,

this should help:

BEA.gif

http://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html

The manual doesn't mention a gasket for the s2 .. but if Steve confirms let me know so I'll go ahead and install 

I know the adapter intakes (part no.7) are siliconed onto the body

Vin Taylor

Tried to contact the agent here in Malta .. but didn't get anywhere and since Pilkington don't post and windscreens I'm back to square one.

Might be worth asking about the rear screen.. I decided to keep mine installed and sacrifice the rear chrome to get a good finish as I couldn't handle trying to find a new rear screen too! 

Vin Taylor

The bonding has gone on the S2 so needs to come out, the S1 screen is with my windscreen so hopefully ok but you never know only takes one slip or a push to hard installing........

I have never fitted screens before so relied on professionals, the last time I had one done on a S3 they made a right mess of the new trims so looked awful.

I have the handles so going for the rear one first off the car on a flat surface, may get a friend to assist. Still not a job I look forward to doing :(

I will try and save the S2 trims but not likely, again I will do it off the car when I get the hinge brackets plated.

• Like 1

Yes bud needed a serious helping hand and only went for it as a local lotus, paid too much for it in its current state but gut feels I did the right thing, like a rescue dog rather than a puppy! Lol!

You and the family have a great Xmas too and hope the new haunted house is going ok!

Ive just fitted the front and rear screens to mine. The hardest bit was installing the new rear chrome trim (although i havent done the front trim yet...) If I had to do it again I would put in thicker rubber spacers than the manual suggests to help make the chrome trim flusher with body and therefore flatter. 

The square cutout by the handbrake is just like mine and is for the ashtray. MGB. 

Phil

Thanks for the tip on the screen Phil, it is not the ashtray cut out which is the problem mate but the hole someone has cut in the outer sill top?

I am hoping to repair it without taking the sill off but will see nearer the time.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

There is a oil cooler take off plate on ebay at the moment 231127953910  which would would make a start on the bits  you need.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Seems the more I dig the more I find wrong with this car, how it got a new MOT is clearly not entirely honest! The rear tyres were completely split on the inner walls so have now been removed, the first wheel is stripped but has quite a bit of alloy corrosion where the split rim bolts seated.

I have sand blasted the centres and can see why they kept going flat besides the knackered tyres, the preformed rubber seal which can be seen in black around the centre has started to perish.

post-10978-0-39014700-1391343429.jpg

I started cleaning the engine bay and noticed burning to the alternator electrics so that needs renewing...

post-10978-0-61323900-1391343639.jpg

The header tank has a hole in it so will be blasted and refurbished..

post-10978-0-38126100-1391343720.jpg

But good news is the newly painted bumpers look much better along with original number plate lights :)

post-10978-0-83982800-1391343863.jpg

I received all the information from the DVLA yesterday for the 14 previous owners, the car was originally Roman Bronze the same as my S1 used to be, it had a couple of plate changes and was originally registered as DPK 699V followed by 938 KP then on to its current plate.

Does anyone recognise it?

I would love to restore the car to its original colour as really like Roman Bronze, I plan to write to the previous owners to see if anyone has more info on it.

Dave :)

Totally agree Vin, I guess it would have been brown/cream but hopefully a previous keeper can confirm.

My plan is to have it ready for the Lotus meet on the 20th April this year so gives me a target and keeps motivation going, my biggest enemy is the weather as it is stored outside currently due to the S1 taking up the garage space.

Next job is the timing belt which has a manual adjuster on this car which I have never used before.

Thanks Andy, I think they are from Douglas valley. I am going to wait for a set at reasonable money now as trying to keep the budget down on this car currently due to the S1 rebuild.

Lol! Cheers Roo, bought in a moment of weakness as saw it needing a home for so long.

We all call it the ugly duckling at home, hopefully one day it will be a swan again!