Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Adjustable Shock/Spring Questions - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Adjustable Shock/Spring Questions

So I have researched the options for new shocks for my 94 s4 but am not sure about something. I currently have (AVO's?) adjustable shocks with adjustable spring seats to adjust the height and definitely want to have the ability to adjust both with a new set. So which brands allow both to be adjusted? I am currently having issues with rear tire/wheel-well rubbing at times when hitting a dip in the road etc and have my shocks set to the stiffest position but I am not sure they are still operating correctly. I don't get any continual bounce but I do have a bit of squeaks which may be from bushings (which will be replaced at the same time) My springs are pretty rusted so I will want to replace them as well. Is there a recommended spring to help keep the rubbing to a minimum when having the ride height lowered (stiffer springs maybe?).

I have had a hard time finding this info on the part sellers website for example I can't even seem to find GAZ shocks listed for a 94 s4.

Thanks, John

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had AVO fully adjustables  with standard springs on my old S4 and had similar problems with rubbing on rear after trying to get a lower ride

, after hours of adjustment and experimentation (is that a real word ??) I concluded that the factory ride height was "the right one" and remember that lowering the front can alter camber angles etc, often leading to deterioration in handling and front end grip.

For road use I think the standard factory spec will be hard to beat, after all they probably spent many hours and many settings to arrive at  the best allround setup.

Dont worry,be happy.............

Mine came with avo and they ended up in the bin ! If your car is rubbing the arches in the corners I suggest the springs aren't right for the car my 5 pence worth bin them and buy proper this is the age old gamble companies spend millions on set ups and testing , you will Not achieve results buy spending out on cheap coilovers and trying to guess yourself no offence .

Thanks for the info guys. The tires are rubbing because they are larger than stock and I have the ride height lowered a bit with the adjustable springs. I am aware of the consequences of changing what Lotus designed as far as the ride height etc (many threads have quite opinionated discussions on it) but frankly I don't care. I never push the car to the limit of its handling and never track the car. Having a slightly lower ride height in trade off for the slightly less handling capabilities that I will never test is perfectly acceptable to me.

So, what shocks allow for adjustable dampening and adjustable ride height via adjustable spring seats? On a related note, is anyone aware of progressive rate (I think that is what it is called, meaning it is softer not under hard compression but does get harder as it gets compressed) springs being available for an s4?

Thanks

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

Right john look for coil overs that have an adjustable platform with the spring being untouched I mean not compressed there are companies that do height adjustable coilovers that don't impact the pre-load this way you can have the car low but not sacrifice kidney smashing bumps. This would be your best shot at the ride you want ,yes fiddling with suspension is a tricky thing but do what you want ! Also there are companies that will make spring specifically to your specs I knew a Tvr owner who did this to get rid of a wobbly back end stiffer poundage springs that we're not that expensive he achieved what he wanted .

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, real lowering dampers, adjustable or not, have shorter bodies, so that the spring movement is always in the dampers optimum movement area, helper springs or not. Progressive springs are fine for road use, but linear is the choice on track, as they are more predictable and surface is better.

Adjustable hight is important, not to lower it, but to find the best response and weighting.

Adjustable high speed bump and return, plus low speed bump and return are top, because it gives you better grip under various conditions, but is expensive.

Personally, I would try to keep the Avo's for a start, but not with standard spring, but harder springs.

Plus new a bit harder bushes all over.

I've been running a few different coilover, amongst them cheaper ones, some okay, most really bad. So by experience, I have bought 'Ohlins and KW, and I am fully satisfied with those. I had them changed and built to personal spec, and that gave the last bit.

One thing I will mention is this: The cheap coilovers are too hard, and the car bounces. The expensive ones (read better most often), have some kind of adjustable comfort, while still being very superior in movement and road drivability, and stay planted in all conditions; you can rebuild them and get Ehm changed to your needs, and they last way better.

That is just my own experience, which is not from my Lotus, as I only recently bought it, but am beginning to Work on that now.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I got SPAX for my 1994 S4 though had to use Eibach 8" springs, 300 LB, up front as the OEM springs and SPAX were not going to work.. Very pleased thus far with handling, ride, etc.

• 1 year later...

I got SPAX for my 1994 S4 though had to use Eibach 8" springs, 300 LB, up front as the OEM springs and SPAX were not going to work.. Very pleased thus far with handling, ride, etc.

Can I get more details on exactly what Eibach springs you used?

• Gold FFM

Since I can't send you a PM John (just tried again) and you didn't get my subtle message when I deleted another post of yours which had links to other Lotus forums, please stop it. If you look at the forum rules, which you agreed to by joining the forum, the second point states this.

If it continues, you may well be banned.

Accordingly, I have deleted your post.

Thanks,

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)