Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gear change gearbox ends - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gear change gearbox ends

So I have the old school translator bar gear selector I've found some one with a later style box end ie the new selector ! What do I need can I bolt it straight on with new gaskets ? Do I need to change anything like gear changer cables blah blah info people

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

old one: http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1585&MAK=1&MDL=15&SMA=0&SMO=14&ST=CV&SC=0

So it is for example different cables, different shifter etc.  -the later version uses a long-cable & short-cable layout, and other coupling/joint for the gearstick end, with different 'neutral' position-automatic  ..and so on

..for all the rest take a look into the parts list

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1586&MAK=1&MDL=15&SMA=0&SMO=14&ST=CV&SC=0

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1587&MAK=1&MDL=15&SMA=0&SMO=14&ST=CV&SC=0

*blah blah -end !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

never driven the old one -so can't compare

..fact is, from engineering point of things -with the later version you have less 'joints' in the 'shift transfer' ..so if you count every connection for its 'free play' it is more direct

Thing for me is that the gearbox itself is to weak, and wears notable -for me (as I track my car and don't smooth shift enough ..as it looks)   ..for me the clutch spline is a point to look. This spilne wears and if you have 'steps' on the spline (from the side loads of the engine momentum) the smooth slide of the clutch plates on shifting is not longer existent. Additional the profile type of this specific Renault spline, with small trapezoidal square shape, this is not good for this application -something our Lecturer on 'machine calculation' told and demonstrated us.

So simply calculate it for your own -do you want to gor for and invest your money:

..for improved gearbox parts (cheaper clutch plates & Ford spline-shaft or other types) and stronger shafts -together with a simply 'makeover' on your existing worn translator joints and a DIY Modification on the 'old type' Gear lever (the small rubber bushes lower down are a point with imrovement potential, think you know them.. a hard plastic bush, with a metal insert would be a way)  

..this all calculated on 'cost & benefit' vs. the cost for original Lotus replacements of:

new type of gearshifter (cabin end) , two different cables, some mounting brackets of the later type, and the different actuator inside of the rear casing etc.

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..