Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 6 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Like I said, after seeing the issue with the body alignment and the fact that other owners have 'adjusted' this car, and the fact that I love retro modified cars I could see only one outcome. So I've decided to put the car on air shocks, below is the full photoshop mockup. 

lotusElite_Lowered_zpsab0facc6.jpg

I think it looks awesome ! :)  Don't know how it will effect the handling, but from a stance point of view it looks great :)

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

In regard to the Lotus OEM suspension it will be poor, that I have no doubt however this is all about stance. I've had a few cars on air in the past and they ride well, firm but smooth. I've also had this build thread running on retrorides and the feeling has been extremely positive. Long way to go but all the parts have been sourced, shocks are test fitted, wheels on order but still a lot of fabrication to go. 

Edited by CharlieCroker

You'll need a photo alongside the guy that lowered the s3 esprit on air suspension ;)

It has already been mentioned. That guy though is a master engineer, you should see what he has done now, put a V6 Alfa Romeo engine in the thing, reengineered the carb inlets, looks bloody awesome. He has also retrimmed his interior, talented boy! 

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

Back to body alignment, so how do I move the bloody thing forward? Obviously it's not as easy as just slotting the bolt holes and moving it forward, no, there are many points of obstructions which need addressing. Firstly two sections have to be cleared behind the rear shock towers, then a v-section of the chassis has to be eased apart for the shell to move. Not easy but sort of getting there. 

20140510_161628_zpsfb2b0742.jpg

Take the weight of the shell.

20140511_130753_zps80188ffb.jpg

20140511_130805_zpsc41c854b.jpg

You can't see it here but my first attempts do show movement forward.

20140511_130952_zpse75a3001.jpg

Especially for just a 1cm gain! The car is in bits at the moment, so if I'm gunna do it, best attempt it now. The whole overall look of the car will benifit, so, put my size 10s on and get stuck in!

Edited by CharlieCroker

Didn't get anything done other than clean the garage this weekend due to the great weather. Waiting on a few parts before I can continue. Charlie :-) 

I'm sure I've read this somewhere else! 

or maybe it's just a strong sense of deja vu.

my god the've just changed the matrix!

• Like 1

Got a week off this week so hope to move along nicely with the car. I'm almost ready to install the air shocks after some slight modifications to the chassis and body, just clearance issues really. This car is gunna be low, can't wait to start putting it back together, hope to get the car rolling this week, back on wheels. Will post some photos shortly... Shall we synchronise our watches? Charlie ;-)

Blimey, got the air shocks installed, the thing is low! 3months of work and finally now back on terra firma and on all 4 wheels. I have the roof line at 42" at its lowest setting, lower than an esprit me thinks!

Charlie, I'm a total novice at lowering.  What have you done exactly?  

Surely you can't lower on shocks alone, you have to do something with the springs?    Just shorten them or?  

And how do air shocks work? Are they linked to something to power them in some way?

Sorry, just fascinated.

Edited by Herc