Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
removing the head and cam towers - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

removing the head and cam towers

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simon,

About that turbo. They all will have what seems to be a rather large amount of play in the shaft side to side. Does yours have any 'in and out' so to speak?(got some brain fade going on here, get yer mind out of the gutter! :unsure: ). If there isn't much play that way, and it wasn't smoking, then bolt her back on!

Stick with it!

Cheers, Lee

i had a little bit more of a clean up today, sorted some tools out etc, i was mulling over my alternator and had a good look at it, i remembered the back of the casing has been melted and burned at some point and does not bode well.

whats should i do about this? it actually is worse than the picture shows the casing has bubbles in it from a hig heat and burns indside

DSCN4419.jpg

oh and can someone do something about this..vvvvvvvvv down here

DSCN4422.jpg

i look a bloody mess!!

Edited by matk

I found these two sites on Google. there must be loads of others that recon alternators. Good luck!

Dom

http://www.vehicle-electrics-online.com/st...CFQY7MAodZDN_rQ

http://www.exchange-starters-and-alternato....uk/quality.htm

i had a little bit more of a clean up today, sorted some tools out etc, i was mulling over my alternator and had a good look at it, i remembered the back of the casing has been melted and burned at some point and does not bode well.

whats should i do about this? it actually is worse than the picture shows the casing has bubbles in it from a hig heat and burns indside

DSCN4419.jpg

oh and can someone do something about this..vvvvvvvvv down here

DSCN4422.jpg

i look a bloody mess!!

i have been reading the tech section on lew and i have decided to replace the red clutch hose with a stainless replacement. has nayone else here done this? (apart from troy) and how long did it take, difficulties etc. im also going to have to change my brake cables for stainless too as they dont look too hot.

i have a full list of things supposedly done to the car on its 'c'service 2000 miles ago, im going to mark up and list everything not done or incorrectly done.

Simon,

I replaced my emergency brake cables w/ nice ones from a place called Lokar (not sure on spelling). They were nice stainless inners w/ black plastic covered stainless outer sheath. Was fairly easy if I remember correctly. If you need more info, I'll try to look it up.

Also, wondering if your alternator is a Bosch unit? Keeping in mind that it may be more readily avail. as an Audi unit, and perhaps less expensive.

Cheers, Lee

get a price for me simon, i cant blow loads of cash at hte moment, im being put on... incapacity and disability benefits for a while. not something in proud of as i have worked every day of my life, tell you what though i have never had to fill in so many forms in my life just to get some help!! bloomin eck.

but thet need to be replaced

Edited by bigsi

its 1:47 in the morning, i cant sleep so i ahve bee ncleaning one of my carbs up.

only to find this......

DSCN4431.jpg

DSCN4440.jpg

one side of my float posts is broken away, probably when the last meathead opened it up to change gaskets, this in turn is preventing the float fromo working properly, which means i now have to find a replacement cover for my carb with a post thats fine.

i opened the other carb up and that one is fine all thereas you can see here

DSCN4442.jpg

is it just me or am i bloody cursed!

so if anyone has a top plate for a dhla40 h carb that they dont want please let me know, doesnt matter if its dirty i will soon clean it up.

Edited by bigsi

Si cant help on the carb but the stainles clutch hose really is a dodle the only hard point is getting it through the gromets at the front.

Simply tape the new to the old and feed through.

It is however alot of crawling around on the floor probably takes at most a couple of hours.

As said though alot of crawling on the floor so your other half wont be happy if you try it!

Edited by Splashout

i faithfully promise i havent touched the car in a work related means today!! i swear on it!

however i told bibs about this the other day.

i bought some skiiny elise seats last year from the seloc forums, they had t he rails attatched, so all i did was t urn them upside down to rest on the lower lip and t he top of the headrest and pushed on them to see if they flexed or just broke in half, they were strong so i bought them.

they have sat in the car for a while and i thought i would at least get them out and get the frame rails done. took the rails off for measurements and to be cleaned and modified ofr the original bolt patterns and found that the fixing points were broken and badluy, hidden behind the rail plates i couldnt see this.

can barely see this from looking underneath, top down you dont see it at all!

DSCN4444.jpg

take rails off to find this on both seats mounting points.

DSCN4447.jpg

DSCN4446.jpg

one sudden stop and the seat would leave the rails with me in it..

Mine are the same Simon <_<

Bought off ebay as in good condition and my dad picked them up for me from london somewhere....

These knobs sellling these things need to be shot.....

I'm gonna gouge mine out and make a fibreglass repair then refinish the backs accordingly.....

Probably swap the drivers for the passenger seat as well as then it'll very rarely get used, you could do the same.....

Were gonna have to remove the elise seat belt socket anyways as our belts dont fit them...

Simon

Chunky Lover

update:

the rocker covers, plenum and diffuser box are now going to have to be totally cleaned off again, took them out of the box to check over etc, and for someone to look at, and the supposedly 'fantastic' VHT flat black paint is just chipping off and flaking away. a waste of my time and cash, im going to have to get them powder coated, im going to go for a textured(sandpaper type finish) red coating, the same look they put on the dancing donkeys, then highlight the lotus words in silver and not rub back to the metal.

similar to this look.

engine.jpg

Si, did you wire brush off those cam covers or did you get them blasted. If the paints chipping off its poor adhesion to the surface that will be causing it.

If you want them sand blasted, i'll get them done FOC for you, along with any other bits you need doing. Just make sure eveything is degreased and clean and post it to me. If you include a tin of the paint i'll blow them over for you.

PM me for address and telephone, if you want it doing.

hi fenton.

thanks for the offer, im just going to try and do them this week, i will just get some more rotary wire brushes and clean them off, may take an hour or so but i will get them done.

when i cleaned them before i also final cleaned them with isopropyl but the non mineralated type, its just as good as pre paint as it leaves no residue.

im looking for a good powder coater more than anything who can then apply a good texture finish like i want above, not the wrinkle finish im looking for the sandpaper type finish.

thanks

simon

Edited by bigsi

ooh get me 2 cans of that simon, you can pick your jacket you left here up at the same time!!!

or is there somewhere like halfords etc i can get it from or on the net in the uk?

Edited by bigsi

your visit has been the highlight of my otherwise boring daily routine, oh and the visit from simon and his sheep coat!

im not doing anything.. bloody ell, i havent touched the car since you left.. honest woman has the keys.

Edited by bigsi

LOL Listen to the man......

With your luck you'll probably take a finger off cleaning them up again, and then once you have managed to get them powder coated you'll knock half of it off when Your packing it up!!!

Keep my coat warm till I get chance to pick it up, I know its fluffy and sheep like but just dont go sleeping with it!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

well its sunday tomorrow, i have had enough of sitting on my arsen so im going to drill out the holes for the new aluminium rivnuts to go in the engine bay sides, and fit new ones into the rear bumper where the old ones came out.